Best answer

Looping by Zapier not iterating through

• 1 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m using webhooks to retrieve JSON from an API of upcoming / past meeting dates. The next step is to iterate through the five latest meeting dates to look for a meeting agenda or meeting minutes.

The webhook call appears to pull in the data I’m looking for exactly right.

However, when I attempt to use the Dataset field, it only makes one pass and doesn't iterate.

It seems to me that the “dates” I created has been converted into a string. That comes from the next API call, which appears to show all of the dates dumped into one field as a single, comma separated value.

I’ve also tried filtering the value through zapier’s formatter / split text, to separate comma separated values (even though it’s supposed to be an array already). It also returns an array (when set to “all”), but the Create Loop by Line Items will only apply the items individually - not as an array.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this kind of thing that keeps Looping by Zapier in beta?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 1 September 2021, 18:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @michaellunsford 

Article: https://zapier.com/help/create/other-functions/loop-your-zap-actions

You may need to change the type of Looping option from Line Item to Text, or vice versa.

Regarding the 1 pass, that’s because when you manually test, it’s only simulating what would happen for an example Loop iteration, so that you can configure the rest of the Zap.

Userlevel 1

What about the next step, where the second API call is sending the entire contents of the array as a comma separated string?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@michaellunsford 

Try changing from “Create Loop from Line Items” to “Create Loop from Text”.
When you manually test, it should return X number of Loops based on the input value of comma separated dates.

Userlevel 1

@michaellunsford

Try changing from “Create Loop from Line Items” to “Create Loop from Text”.

That did it. I could have sworn I tried it previously without success - but it’s working now.