Question

Ignore 404 on custom Webhook requests

• 29 June 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m using a custom webhook request to make an API call to check if a user account exists in an external service.  If a user does exist, a 200 is returned along with their information.  Otherwise, the API returns a 404.  The purpose of the Zap is precisely to create a new user account if one doesn’t already exist, but it’s always treating the 404 as a hard failure, aborts the run, and sets the Zap in an “errored” state.

I managed to work around the issue of the run aborting using a combination of Storage and Path tasks, but is there a way to tell the Zap that it didn’t fail just because this one API step returned a 404?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @dduggan 

Good question.

You can use a Code step to make the API Request and handle the Response.

Try asking ChatGPT for help configuring the JavaScript or Python code.

Hi @dduggan - i have a very similar issue to the one you encountered.

Could you outline the steps you took to work around the 404 generate by an API call using Storage and Path tasks?

Thanks

Hi @Bom99 I followed the steps here:  

Although a clever hack to get around the limitation, I don’t feel it’s an acceptable solution.  It adds 3 or 4 new steps to your Zaps which adds quite a bit of bloat and counts towards your monthly task limit.  In the end, I followed @Troy Tessalone’s suggestion and wrote a single Python code task instead.