Question

How to set up Webhooks workaround for ClickUp

• 13 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi @mari12h7@RashidatO and @CardManc! 👋

We’ve got all of you added to the list of affected users so we’ll be sure to send you an email notification as soon as it’s resolved.

@RashidatO - For the workaround Zsambi and others have mentioned I believe you’d need to create an automation in ClickUp that runs for the same events as the ClickUp trigger that’s erroring. This would need to be set up to send a webhook (use the Webhook Call option for the Automation) through to a Zap that uses a Catch Hook (Webhooks by Zapier) trigger. That way ClickUp can still send the desired information over to Zapier without running into that same error. Hope that helps! 🙂

This post was split from topic: 

Hi @SamB!  Thanks so much for replying!

I’m very new to creating webhooks, so I have some follow-up questions.

So when I go into automations in ClickUp am I just entering the web hook URL from Zapier or do I need to also be specifying which information I want to send?

Then, when I’m in Zapier, I created the step Catch Hook and it’s given me the link that I posted in the URL space above over in ClickUp, but Zapier is saying it can’t find the request even after refreshing my browser and clearing my cache so I’m at a loss of what to do next.  Do I have it set up correctly in the screenshot above?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @RashidatO 

Good question.

Sometimes the best way to know is to test.

All you need to set is the Webhook from Zapier, but you can also include query string parameters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RashidatO 

In order for data to be sent to the Zap trigger step, you need to turn the ClickUp automation ON, then test the ClickUp trigger event.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone I just stepped away from it last night because I’d done all of this except specifying exactly what data to send and my Zapier test was failing.  This morning I got this, and now I’m trying to figure out how to configure the information I need into the next step.

Userlevel 1

I just went back and set query string parameters as you suggested, but there’s no data to use in Zapier.

Is there supposed to be another step in Zapier between catching the hook and pushing the data to Flodesk?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RashidatO

You need to do these 3 things in this order:

1. Turn the ClickUp Automation ON
  2. Test teh ClickUp Automation trigger event (e.g. when the Status changes from “Applied” to ???)
  3. Change the Zap trigger test data: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093
Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone yes, as I said in my last post with the screenshots ➡️ I’ve done all that, but Zapier isn’t getting any actual test data.  (See second screenshot with the view in Zapier).  

I’m not new to Zapier; I’m new to webhooks.  So I know what to look for when it comes to test data, but even though Zapier is now saying that the test for the Call Webhook zap is a green check, I’m not seeing any data options to pull into the steps following that task.  Does that make sense?  I know writing out the details isn’t always immediately clear. 🤦🏾‍♀️ 😅 ☺️

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RashidatO 

If data isn’t being sent from ClickUp, then it’s likely an issue with these:

1. The ClickUp Automation is NOT turned ON.
  2. The ClickUp Automation trigger has NOT fired.
    1. This could be due to no new data meeting the ClickUp Automation trigger conditions since the ClickUp Automation was turned ON.
    2. Make sure to test live on an actual Task in ClickUp by changing the statuses.
Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Yep had done all these steps.  SO I took another step away and came back and it’s FINALLY WORKING! I’m doing a dance Troy and I hope you are too!! 💃🏾 🕺🏾 💃🏾

Thanks for sticking in there with me to get this figured out!  Have wonderful day!!