Question

Google sheet date field turns to random numbers

• 25 December 2022
  • 1 reply

I created a webhook from my element or form to a google sheet.

for some reason the date and time field I defined shows random numbers, what seem to be the reason and how do I fix this?

* ill mention that the test from Zapier send those properly and the random numbers appear only when I send the form manually

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @alon123!

This sounds like it’s an issue with formatting when the data is passed from the webhook to Google Sheets; the form sends a date and Google Sheets isn’t recognizing it as a date and converts it to a number. 

You can check this by looking at the data in and data out for the step in your Zap history. To do that, go to the Zap history for the Zap and click on a Zap run where you know the number was wrong. Go to the Google sheets step and look at the Data in and Data out tabs, data in shows how the information was given to Google Sheets and Data out shows what Google Sheets put into the sheet. 

To fix this, the first thing to check is whether the column in Google Sheets is formatted to a date format. If it is, then it’s likely that the issue is what is being passed to the sheet. To change the format of the date being passed to the Sheet, you can add a Formatter by Zapier step in your Zap to change the date format. The Sheet should then recognize the information as a date and not a number.  You can learn more about using the Formatter to change date and time formats in this help guide: Modify date and time formats in Zaps