Question

Find out which property has changed in Notion

• 18 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello dear Community !

I am trying to build an automation to warn followers on Notion cards whenever the status of the card changes. Here is the current workflow:

• On Notion, my database has a property named "Followed By" for which anyone can be added
  • When an item is updated on Notion, it triggers an "Item updated trigger"
  • The Notion integration having some problem with the status, I call Notion API with the action "Notion API request". That way, I get the raw response WITH the status in it
  • I then search for such element with an action "Storage by Zapier".This element would come from a previous execution for which I cached the previous result
  • I then store the result with an action "Storage by Zapier" to be used later for future execution
  • I compare the historical result and the current result
  • If it has changed, I then warn the user

The problem with that flow is that, before the filter happens to see if status has changed, I run about 8 or 9 tasks which is very task-consuming and is not durable because of Zapier tasks limitation.

Do you have any idea on any way to perform the same action with fewer tasks?

One way I see is to only use code to perform the same result, but is there a way to access any storage with Python or JS code inside a Code Action?

Thanks !

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You wont be able to access any storage

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your answer !

I ended up building my custom Notion integration, asking to the user a storage key in the authentication and using store.zapier.com to store whatever cache I need to store. It works pretty well!

I anyone has the same problem with Notion, and would like to trigger a zap when a specific status changes (or any other properties), I can share the code of the integration :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@moba-tech 

Help article about how to use Storage in Code: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496062115597-Using-Storage-by-Zapier-values-in-Code-Steps