Best answer

Editor Working - Published Not

• 28 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I wanted to integrate Zapier with my app and I am using REST hooks. Although, it took a little bit to set up and their documentation isn't really too helpful, I finally was able to built everything out for subscribes, unsubscribes, and list (for testing).

I put together a couple of Zaps using the integration and in the editor everything works. It finds the data from the hook url and it posts to a social media platform as expected. Just to reiterate tests all go smoothly before publishing.

However, after publishing the first step works well (connects to my service, connects to the social media platform, receives all of the data), but the second step fails.

Data received from first step [Data Out]:

result_text:Attention marketing, sales, and content professionals!…

other data...

Error from second step [Data In]:

Required field "message" (message) is missing.

page:111874991787535

link_url: ...

result_text is there and is being set dynamically as seen in the first step. Why does the second step say it's missing?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 28 August 2023, 05:10

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @craftdraft 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Also, post screenshots with the DATA IN/OUT from your Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1

Posting all relevant screenshots to Zap steps and Zap history of failure.

Everything works in the editor and posts to Facebook (tested multiple times). I also tested with LinkedIn, Reddit, etc. They all work while testing in the editor.

They also all fail when published and the hooked is supplied. I can see that in the trigger from the Zap history that all data made it.

Step 1 (REST hook):

Step 2

Error: Required field "message" (message) is missing.

Editor (All tests work):

Trigger

Create Facebook Pages

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@craftdraft 

Sometimes the test data provided to configure a Zap can be different the real data provided when the Zap is ON.

Try this variable syntax.

{{205535645__event_type__result_text}}

The Zap Run DATA OUT from step 1 shows this data structure.

Event Type is an object with the Result Type as a data point.

The Zap Run DATA shows a missing variable because there is no matching dynamic variable value.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone , thanks for your feedback. From the error I can see that there is no matching dynamic variable, but I selected the dynamic variable from the dropdown. That works for multiple tests within the same zap without changing it. Why does it fail in production (publication)?

I would like my users to be able to set this up without having to worry about it and just select the dynamic variables and have them work in the editor and production. I checked multiple zaps and see that the number is specific to each zap:

So, how do I allow my users to set this up seamlessly without having to tweak these variables? Aren’t they supposed to be able to select the dynamic variable from within the editor and get up and running?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@craftdraft 

The issue may be with how the Zap app integration is configured by the app developer.

Meaning there are inconsistencies with the structure of the test data vs the live data that would need to be corrected.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone , okay that would make sense. I am the app developer btw.

I see that all subscribes and unsubscribes work and feed into my database. No app errors from my web application. When posting to the provided hook URL for each which is stored in the subscribe that works and fires off the Zap in production.

I actually use the same table and records for list data (test data?) and the production data the is sent to the hook URL. I can see the data making it and the structure looks exactly the same in the editor as well as production. I have even copied the row to make sure it was the same data (not shown in these screenshots) for testing between the editor and production with the same result.

Production:

Editor:

What could be wrong in the app setup?

Userlevel 1

I think I see what you were saying earlier. One might be provided an array of data:
[{“test”:1},{“test”:2}]

and the other:

[{“test”:1}]

I believe there are both an object array, but I will check.

Userlevel 1

@craftdraft

The issue may be with how the Zap app integration is configured by the app developer.

Meaning there are inconsistencies with the structure of the test data vs the live data that would need to be corrected.

Just to clarify, you’re talking about on my end right? Or do you mean with Facebook (Meta)?

Userlevel 1

@craftdraft

Sometimes the test data provided to configure a Zap can be different the real data provided when the Zap is ON.

Try this variable syntax.

{{205535645__event_type__result_text}}

The Zap Run DATA OUT from step 1 shows this data structure.

Event Type is an object with the Result Type as a data point.

The Zap Run DATA shows a missing variable because there is no matching dynamic variable value.

Dang man, I wish I understood what that was actually saying. I went back and realized I was nesting the output like you pointed out.

It’s working!

Thank you very much!