Skip to main content
Question

Dehydrated MP3 file missing file extension

• 1 June 2024
  • 6 replies

We are using Zendesk as a CRM platform and users are able to call in and leave a voicemail for us to respond to. Zendesk already has that voicemail recording as an mp3 file and I am attempting to forward that recording into Slack.

The issue I am having is that after I use the Zendesk API to retrieve the call recording, when the file is dehydrated in Zapier it is missing the file extension of `.mp3`. I can manually update the file extension once it’s downloaded and the recording is there and works, but that is not a scalable solution. 

This is the full Zap 

Step 2 gets the ticket details which includes the URL to download the .mp3 file.

Step 3 takes that URL and executes a GET request

which generates the file 

Step 4 then takes that file and shares it via slack 

All of this mostly works, but the file that gets downloaded when I click the link in Slack is missing the .mp3 file type

If I manually update the file extension to be .mp3, the file is able to be opened successfully as an mp3 file and it plays the recording

How can I update this zap so that it correctly processes the file as an mp3?

Related ticket that did not solve my issue - 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @micahdasma 

Some things to try:

1. Try using the field Attach Image by URL
    1. Use the URL from Zendesk (not hydrated)
  2. Use the URL from Zendesk in the Message Body
    1. See how Slack treats that link

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

For 1 - I tried this but it does not attach anything on the slack message that I get

For 2 - The direct link from Zendesk requires Zendesk authentication, and for my use case I will be sending these files to people who do not have Zendesk credentials

One thing to note - I wanted to see if there was an issue with the file itself or with the Zapier steps, so I included a step to upload the file from step 3 to google drive which did work, which makes me think there is an issue with the slack step specifically

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@micahdasma 

Help article about sending files in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288813453

The file URL needs to be a publicly accessible direct download link.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@micahdasma 

The Slack Message Text field may not accept file objects.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone 

I was mostly using this as a proof of concept to see if I would be able to pull the audio file and send it elsewhere, but it seems like trying with a slack message was not the way to go. 

I have moved on a bit and am struggling to get the file processed correctly when sending via API - Any chance you (or anyone else seeing this thread) would be able to chime in on this ticket?