Best answer

Create Jira Issue when new email is sent to Google Group

• 3 August 2021
  • 1 reply

Our organization uses Google Workspace for email, and we are setting up a new Google Group in order to have an email address for external support requests. 

To make it tangible, imagine we are creating the Group with the email address:

support@mydomain.com

When a new inbound email is sent to this address, I want the Zap to automatically create a Jira issue in a specific project board. In other words, I want the trigger to be a new email thread in the specified inbox in Google Groups. 

I had no issue connecting my Google Group account (I am a Workspace admin) but unfortunately I can’t seem to get the trigger configuration to work. I keep getting the error message below (even after clearing browser cache, logging in again, etc.). 

After doing a bit more research I think the issue is that Zaps cannot be triggered by an event in Google Groups; Zaps can only do some task within a Group (e.g. add a member) in response to an external trigger. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

If the above assumption is correct, does anyone have advice on how to automatically create a Jira issue in response to a new email to an address that is not my personal email account?

As a workaround I think my options are:

1. Use the Zapier-branded email integration (and create a new custom email address) as the trigger;
  2. Create a specific tag for emails sent to my personal email and use that as a trigger;
  3. Instead of using email, create a Google Form as the support ticket trigger. 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 4 August 2021, 01:26

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @srhewf 

The Google Groups Zap app has 0 triggers and 3 actions available, as seen here: https://zapier.com/apps/google-groups/integrations

I’d suggest the GForms route, as that way you’ll get structured data to use in the Zap.