Skip to main content
Question

Chunking Objects and Looping

• 28 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Edit - these emails are all fake from a data generator tool….

Hello! 

Here is the flow I am trying to build - I know peoples time is limited so I don’t expect full troubleshooting of the code and all the steps. I am more so curious if there is an easier way to do this or just looking for general guidance on how achieve do this. 

1. Hook is triggered which could contain an array between 1-700 objects. 
  2. Run code on this response to chunk the objects into batches of 100 (I am calling a hubspot event API which only allows for sending 100 objects max.)
  3. Then I need to loop through these chunks and call the API while passing in one chunk of 100 at a time. 

So, if my hook response contained 600 objects I would expect 6 chunks of 100 to be made and the loop to fire 6 times calling the API each time. 

I would say my dev experience is that of a Junior dev and I have already built this in a node.js script and it works as expected. I am having a hard time “translating” this to Zapier. The code that I am running is not outputting the variable containing the objects as I would expect. When I run the code the output looks correct but when I try to go access this variable in another step its then split up in a weird way. 

Here is the code - 

const eventOrders = inputData.eventOrders.split("},");

function formatOrders(array) {
return array.map((item, index) => {
if (index !== array.length - 1) {
return item + "}";
} else {
return item.endsWith("}") ? item : item + "}";
}
});
}

function chunkArray(array, size) {
let result = >];
let chunk = /];

array.forEach((item, index) => {
chunk.push(item);
if (chunk.length === size || index === array.length - 1) {
result.push(chunk);
chunk = ];
}
});

return result;
}

const formattedOrders = formatOrders(eventOrders);
const chunks = chunkArray(formattedOrders, 100);

let outputArray = chunks.map((chunk, index) => ({
=`Batch ${index + 1}`]: chunk
}));

return { Batches: outputArray };

I’m not fully understanding what this output is indicating. Why does it say batches, then 1, then batches batch 1? 

When I then try to access this array of objects later I see this which I would not expect. I would expect to see a new array here. This may just be an issue I am not seeing with my code. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @inater 

If you have ChatGPT+, one option is to provide the screenshots and prompt with your description / examples to see what feedback about the code can be provided by ChatGPT to help you optimize, troubleshoot, comment the code.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@inater This happens sometimes in Zapier when they try to be too “smart”. I think your code looks correct. Are you trying to pass the 100 each array into the Hubspot custom API call next? Which API? 

One thing I will try is to modify the extra naming last part of the code “Batch ${index + 1} and Batches: 

Hello @fiona819 , sorry for the late response. I am using this API call here https://legacydocs.hubspot.com/docs/faq/working-within-the-hubspot-api-rate-limits which you can see limits events in batches of 100 

Instead of worrying about the chunking. Is there a way I can set the initial array of objects I get in storage and then using javascript pull out 100 objects from that array and send them via the API and then update that variable? 

Again, I know how to do this in code but with Zapier firing loops in parallel I am confused on how the loops would have the context of the storage I am updating. It seems like each loop would just grab the first 100?