Best answer

ChatGPT error: JSON.parse is not iterable cannot read property Symbol(Symbol.iterator))

• 11 July 2023
  • 3 replies

I’ve created a Zap that takes forwarded emails, runs them through the Chat GPT API for parsing into specific fields, and add these to a Google sheet table. 

I’m using Email by Zapier as the first step, and emails are manually forwarded to the email address. The email body is then passed to Chat GPT, and the answer is then passed on to Google Sheets.

So far so good, it works successfully with emails forwarded manually.

I’d like to automatically forward emails that arrive and are are tagged with a specific tag in Helpscout to the Zapier email address, which as far as I can see can be done 2 ways:

1. Set up a workflow in Helpscout, where when a tag is added, an email forward task is automatically completed. 
  2. Add Helpscout plugin to the start of the Zap, and when the tag is added then the ‘Conversation’ is forwarded.

I tried the first option, the email successfully reaches the Zapier email, but fails at the Chat GPT step with the following error. I can’t find any difference between emails manually forwarded (via Gmail) and those forward via Helpscout, but Chat GPT doesn’t like the format. 

Any advice on what that error could mean? 

icon

Best answer by SamB 11 September 2023, 15:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @samforward, welcome to the Community! 

I did some checking on this and it seems that you’re running into a recently reported bug for the ChatGPT app. I’ve gone ahead and added you to the list of users being impacted by this issue. There isn’t an ETA on when it will be fixed by but you’re on the list so we’ll send an email notification to you as soon as it been resolved.

In the meantime, there have been reports that when runs of the Zap with this error are replayed they are then able to go through successfully. So I’d recommend trying to reply any errored runs of the Zap to see if that works for you too. You can find out more about how to replay errored Zap runs here: Replay failed Zap runs

Not an ideal solution I know, but hopefully it will help to keep your Zap running while this bug is still about. 🤞

Thank you. Do you know if there’s a way around this? As it’s working for manually forwarded emails, is there a way I could convert the Helpscout email as an action before Chat GPT? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @samforward! 👋

I have good news - the bug report for this issue was closed recently! 🎉

The team discovered that the ChatGPT integration malfunctioned when OpenAI returned specific error types - producing that “JSON.parse(...) is not iterable...” error. They've since resolved this issue and have improved the error messaging.

Happy Zapping! ⚡