Best answer

changing the account dynamically

• 21 March 2021
  • 2 replies

I understand that we cannot change the account in an action dynamically based on a trigger, but WHY?  

It seems like the most obvious thing in the world.  I have dozens of accounts to distribute data to - zapier should be able to handle that, why does it not?  

Creating dozens of different zaps as a workaround really defeats what I thought the purpose of zapier is, and won’t really work with the bubble plugin either.

Why oh why?

icon

Best answer by william 11 June 2021, 20:19

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ryanscott 

Do you have an example use case of where you’re trying to do change action step accounts dynamically?

A more advanced approach to make action steps dynamic may be to leverage an app’s APIs via a Webhooks action.

Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @ryanscott. hope you’re well, I just wanted to check in here!

For this specific case, changing the connected account dynamically would require us to change the way zaps authenticate.

The main blocker I can think of here is that the connected account is validated when the zap is first turned on and periodically based on the time the account connection expires.

The issue is that if we change the connected account dynamically, the amount of requests we have to send to the app’s authentication endpoint in their API increases. We would effectively have to poll the auth endpoint for validation every time the account changes instead of once at the start and once when the token expires.

This would increase the number of auth polls exponentially and could lead to a rate limit from that app’s API due to too many requests.

If that happens, the effected account connection would expire and no longer be functional until it was manually reconnected once the app’s rate limiting expires. This particular rate limit would be on the app side and not on Zapier’s side, so it wouldn’t be something we could adjust dynamically and would likely result in more effort from the user end than setting up one zap or one action per connected account.