Question

"Cannot publish Zap You need to edit your Zap to have at most one Looping by Zapier step" - Why the change?

• 16 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have got a few Zaps which work great, they take a webhook, split into three different paths, and each has a loop to segment the data perfectly.

I needed to do something similar, so copied the zap, and tried to publish and now I get this error:

Cannot publish Zap

You need to edit your Zap to have at most one Looping by Zapier step.

Can someone please help me overide this error message?

I don’t understand, my old zap has and worked perfectly fine, so why can’t this new one? 

I’m worried if I need to adjust my old zap, I won’t be able to turn it back on either!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JayK 

Good question.

It’s likely that you built the original Zap when the Looping app was in Beta, and since then Zapier has made changes to the Looping app.

Can I create nested loops?

Nested loops are not supported. You won’t be able to turn on a Zap with more than one Looping by Zapier Step.

It's also not possible to add a loop to more than one path in a Zap.

The workaround is to chain Zaps together using Webhooks, then you can replicate the functionality of each Path.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the reply,

So the answer is that this functionality was removed? Will it ever be put back?

As splitting into multiple webhooks means me having to re-do all my old zaps, and also add a more complicated solution that uses more tasks. That’s costing us time and money on our side.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @JayK!

Looking at the documentation for Looping by Zapier it states it’s not currently possible to add a loop into more than one path in a Zap. So I’m a bit confused as to how the Zap that you copied it from isn’t running into that same error.

Are you able to make a duplicate of one of the working Zaps (with loops inside each path) and then turn it on? If that turns on without running into that same error then that would mean that there’s likely an issue with the setup of one of the loops in the Zap which is causing that error. So next we’d need to look at the set up of those loops to for any potential issues. 

Looking forward to your reply!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there @JayK!

Looking at the documentation for Looping by Zapier it states it’s not currently possible to add a loop into more than one path in a Zap. So I’m a bit confused as to how the Zap that you copied it from isn’t running into that same error.

Are you able to make a duplicate of one of the working Zaps (with loops inside each path) and then turn it on? If that turns on without running into that same error then that would mean that there’s likely an issue with the setup of one of the loops in the Zap which is causing that error. So next we’d need to look at the set up of those loops to for any potential issues. 

Looking forward to your reply!

Hi Sam,

I am doing exactly that, taking a zap which is on and working fine, and copying it, and it won’t let me turn on.

So the functionality was there and working fine, but has been disabled.

The last zap I succesfuly made with this functionality was on the 10th of January,

So what has changed between then and today? When did the “beta” for looping end?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JayK 

So the answer is that this functionality was removed? 

That would be a question for Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Will it ever be put back?

Who knows?!

As splitting into multiple webhooks means me having to re-do all my old zaps, and also add a more complicated solution that uses more tasks. That’s costing us time and money on our side.

Zaps can be duplicated and modified pretty easily now with all the features for moving/reordering Zap steps, copying/pasting Zap steps, etc.

TBD if the chained Zaps will actually use more Tasks, as that depends on how your current Zap steps are configured and the Filter conditions that you had set for each Path.

Here’s a trick on how to trigger multiple Zaps from 1 webhook, so in your case there would be 4 Zaps with a 1:MANY configuration. (e.g. 1:3)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry for the delay in my reply here @JayK! 🙂

I’ve double-checked internally and it seems this wasn’t functionality that was removed. The Zap that’s running with loops in multiple paths should never have been able to be switched on. There was a bug that was allowing that to happen but it’s since been resolved, which is why the duplicated Zaps are not able to be switched on.

The existing Zap would likely remain unaffected by the fix until it’s turned off then back on again. At which point it would also run into that same error. So I’d recommend switching the Zaps to incorporate the workaround Troy suggested above, as that would allow you to avoid the error by getting multiple Zaps to trigger from the same run of a Zap, without the need to use loops in multiple paths.

I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but hopefully it helps to clarify why the error is occurring.