Best answer

Build basic key auth API + private key

• 7 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, 
I’m trying to build a workflow for a specific API authentication and I could not find a way to do it.
A company that I’m willing to do a partnership with is willing to send me data thanks to an API that will use an API Key with Header parameter name: X-API-KEY and they will also require a certificate (a private key) to allow full authentication.
I was hoping to add this private key in the Webhook Zapier integration but it’s not possible. 
I then looked into building a custom integration in Zapier but I don’t find this type of authentication method in the list. 
Could you help me figure out how to make this initial authentication? 
Thanks in advance for your help

icon

Best answer by wagnouze 11 March 2021, 10:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @wagnouze,

API can be troublesome at times, the reason being that different platforms utilize it in different ways, so if you can provide a link to their documentation then I can look into the exact way to get this done.

Here is some screenshot of how it can be done:

Userlevel 1

That’s very interesting, I’ll look into that. Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to figure out a similar thing right now, documentation is at: https://developer.eventzilla.net/docs/

In Insomnia I just add a header with the value “x-api-key” and then put the key as the value. 

A bit confused on what to do with making the zap. 

EDIT: sorry if jumping on this thread is bad practice? I wasn’t sure. 

Userlevel 1

@jj200200 not sure but I think that fortunately for you, your case seems easier since you don’t have to deal with the certificate (private key) that I need to add in my situation.

To make the zap, I think you should just add a step “Webhook” with any method (GET for example) and specify the value x-api-key in the header. 

What have you tried yet and what’s not working?

Userlevel 1

Thanks, @wagnouze I’m brand new to making custom Zaps and didn’t even think of that. Seems to be working.