Question

Auto Fill Doesn't Work with XML Response?

• 17 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I am sending an xml POST to an external system, which is returning responses. Normally I can use responses from other systems in subsequent steps, but for some reason I can’t with these responses. Anyone know how to fix this?

Here is a screenshot of a test stage in its simplest form. As you can see the external system gave a response of “Successful”, but when I try to use that response - like by sending an email (but i’ve tried in multiple others ways so the error is not limited to gmail) The system enters the code “Anet Api Xml V 1...” before the response and leaves the response out.

How do I fix this? I want to get the response ONLY “Successful” and not the xml code descriptors. 

Screenshot

Here is a pic of the email that is received so you can see the problem

Here is an image of the POST I’m sending that I am unable to utilize the response from:

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 1

I even ran a test with formatter to “find” the word “successful” but it fails? Is this feature broken or am I using it incorrectly?

Attempt Screenshot

Result Screenshot

Userlevel 1

-redacted

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Tim Mc 

Good question.

It will be helpful for us to have more detailed screenshots that show how each of the relevant Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tim Mc 

Good question.

It will be helpful for us to have more detailed screenshots that show how each of the relevant Zap steps are configured.

Really? I put 5 different screenshots showing exactly what is happening. This forum support is useless. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Tim Mc 

I don’t work for Zapier and freely donate my time to try to help other Zap users like you, but if you think this forum support is useless, then you can try to look elsewhere for free support.

e.g. This screenshot doesn’t show how your Zap step is configured which could contain clues as to why the output is not what you expect when testing.

Help us, help you.

Userlevel 1

ok - let’s give this another try then.

I created a sample script to highlight the error. I think Zapier is broken, but hopefully I’m wrong and there is a way to fix this. If you agree that it’s broken perhaps you can tell me how to submit a trouble ticket so that they can correct it. 

Original task in edit mode: Black bars are redacted info

Original task in edit mode:
Original task ready to test:
Results viewed during test - clearly shows responses including “Successful”
Subsequent task where I attempt to use results from previous step
This shows the “body” should be “I00001Successful.ok”
Actual email received. Shows that the system is failing to deliver the variable it says its sending.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Tim Mc 

I suspect the issue is that the response variables include curly brackets {}, so it’s breaking how Zapier interprets the mapped variables.

Zapier uses {{variable}} for it’s variable syntax.

But with the variable name having {} it’s becoming 3 {{{, so it’s not printing the actual value.

Here’s what you can try…

You can use a Code step to make the API request, then in the same Code step, you can add logic to parse the response and set your own custom variables with values to then use in the Gmail step.

If you need help with that Code (JavaScript/Python) check the help articles and ask ChatGPT.