Best answer

How can I use an existing Notion template with variables in a "Create New Database Item" action?

• 13 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I’m running a notion action step.

The event I’m triggering is “Create New Database Item” For content, is there a way to plug-in an existing template I made on Notion & plug-in variables into that template?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Blue Horizon 14 November 2023, 07:42

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Blue Horizon 

Good question.

If the ability to select an existing template is not available, then you may have to explore using the Notion API.

Try using this Zap action: Notion - App Extensions

This has an AI assist.

Hi @Blue Horizon 

Good question.

If the ability to select an existing template is not available, then you may have to explore using the Notion API.

Try using this Zap action: Notion - App Extensions

This has an AI assist.

Really Helpful! Thanks @Troy Tessalone!

Userlevel 1

@Blue Horizon @Troy Tessalone i’m trying this and getting defeated. is there any way y’all can share more details on what you were able to build & how? 😅🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@m_ocra 

Might be best to post your own topic with screenshots to provide more context about your steps and configuration.

Userlevel 1

that’s fair thank you! TLDR, i kept getting “invalid JSON” from Notion’s API in my test but finally got it working by adding    

"children": [ preceding the { “object… 

in the body. not very well documented by Notion!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That's an amazing news @m_ocra! Thank you for sharing the solution to the error you were running into. This will be helpful to other members in our community who might encounter a similar issue when using the API Request (Beta) for Notion

Happy Zapping!