Shared Drives - Templates, Copies, and Folder Creation

• 12 July 2023
  • 0 replies

The following is my problem and how I anticipate getting around it.

My trigger is Airtable, and my integration is with Google Docs and Google Drive.

I want to do the following:

1. Make a folder in a shared drive
  2. Create a document in that folder based upon a template that lives in my shared drive
  3. In a zap later on, make a copy of this file and place it in that same folder

I cannot do steps 2 and 3 here, as it seems like you cannot retrieve a file from a shared drive.

could change step 2 to: Create a document in that folder based upon a template that lives in my personal drive.

However, step 3 does require that file being copied is in a personal drive, not a shared drive. 

So here is what I’m going to do instead.

• Make a folder in my personal drive
  • Shortcut that folder into the location I want in the shared drive

All steps of the zap will now act within that folder, which is in the personal drive. 

For context, the google account I will be using is the admin@ account for the organisation, so it should still work if I ever leave the organisation.

I wish Zapier would either:

• Add in the ability to retrieve a template from a shared drive, or
  • Publish an article about why this is not possible/tricky (maybe for security reasons?), which would provide some clarity

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.