Having fun with the new Google Assistant integration?

• 24 February 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Has anyone had a chance to play with the new Google Assistant integration? If so, how have you found it? What workflows have you created? More importantly, how has it saved you time?!

We'd love to hear your success stories, if you share yours you could be featured in our blog!

18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is something that I will defiantly try. I only wish it could ask for information.

We currently have a routine running on Alexa to keep a log of certain events in the office.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Matthewzap do you have an example of how you would use this if it could ask for more information? Let us know!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Right now we have a routine that runs on Aleza that we run every time a courier drops off packages in the office. It asks which courier arrived, and how many files they dropped off.

This gets recorded on a Google Sheets for various reasons.

Currently, it seems, this Zap only acts as a trigger, with little interactivity with the device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Matthewzap So, you have a trigger with the Alexa integration and you'd like to be able to add more information? Or would you like it to be more of a 'conversation' eg asking each question one at a time? Thanks for the help clarifying what you'd like to see, the more specific we can be, the more it will help the team developing the app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The way I would envision this working for me is a conversation flow.

Trigger Phrase is heard > Asks a question > listens to input.

In such a scenario we can take that input and push it to all the other applications that Zapier connects to.

In my case, it would update Google Sheets, but it could be used to send messages to Slack for example.

edit: to rephrase it, the current trigger looks great. What would help is an Action that could be used as a follow up.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Matthewzap,

Jumping in as I'm a product manager here at Zapier that has been working on the integration.

Sounds like the trigger could be set up the way you like it? Have you given that a shot? It supports multiple input phrases so you can set it up as a pretty conversational way to fill out a Google sheet, then ping you to Slack with the summary. Great use case!

For actions, anything specific? So far we're limited in what we can send back to the device (or trigger from the device other than Zaps) and we're looking for more opportunities to improve the integration.

Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Matthewzap do you have an example of how you would use this if it could ask for more information? Let us know!

i have added my example in the other track, specifically i wanted to organize meetings with zoom.ai but it dos not work. can you create thee integration and a YouTube video that shows how to do this when you use an iphone to control google assistant?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Matthewzap,

Jumping in as I'm a product manager here at Zapier that has been working on the integration.

Sounds like the trigger could be set up the way you like it? Have you given that a shot? It supports multiple input phrases so you can set it up as a pretty conversational way to fill out a Google sheet, then ping you to Slack with the summary. Great use case!

For actions, anything specific? So far we're limited in what we can send back to the device (or trigger from the device other than Zaps) and we're looking for more opportunities to improve the integration.

Thanks for sharing!

but it is not working for me when i call the function from my google assistant on iphone…??? what to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Paolon - I split your other post about this into a new thread so that we can better help you with this 🙂

You can find the new post here: Issue Using Google Assistant on iPhone

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have a Google Mini in my office that I use as a speaker.
I would love to be able to say “Hey Google, start my 10 am Zoom Meeting” 

Can you sketch out how to do that please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Davidh88 ! Such a cool workflow!

I’m not 100% that it’s currently possible but this Zoom + Google Assistant integration doc may be a good place to start. Wondering if anyone else has done this yet- @Danvers any ideas? Thank you! 

Userlevel 1

Is there any way to trigger a Zap from a google assistant routine?

Eg. with TriggerCMD- GH integration, I can say this: “Hey Google, ask triggercmd to run calculator” - which will send “run calculator” to the triggercmd integrtion.

Seems like I cannot do this with Zapier, when I say “Hey Google, ask Zapier to <whatever>”, <whatever> will not be sent to Zapier, it just acts as if I said “Hey Google, talk to Zapier”. Is this possible anyhow? I’d like to trigger Zaps from google home/assistant routines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Bear!

We have a guide here that you might find helpful :)

Specifically, this part:

You do have to talk to Zapier and then use your trigger phrase to make a particular Zap run. So it’s not as simple as saying “Hey Google, ask Zapier to <whatever>”.

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’m trying to create a zap using Google Assistant but finding multiple problems. First, I can’t test a trigger if i don’t have a Zap published. Here’s what my assistant gives me back:

• Said talk to zapier
  • Zapier
  • It doesn't look like you have any Zaps made with Google Assistant yet. To use Zapier with Google Assistant, you can head over to Zapier.com on your computer or mobile device to build your Zap and start triggering workflows via voice”

Then i skip the test in order to publish the zap, it understands the trigger phrase and even ask the prompt, but since i had to skip the test it doesn’t recognize the prompt. I try to test the trigger again now that it’s published, but it can’t find my pushed voice message.

Because of that i can’t create more complex zaps that includes the prompt content. Any tips on how can i solve this?

Userlevel 1

Same problem as @lil_broto 

Same problem as @lil_broto and @Nightwolf  -- There is no way to extract the response data from the response or to see it in the test trigger. 

Same problem as @lil_broto and @Nightwolf  -- There is no way to extract the response data from the response or to see it in the test trigger. 

I Have the same problem..

Same problem as @lil_broto and @Nightwolf  -- There is no way to extract the response data from the response or to see it in the test trigger. 

I Have the same problem..

Awesome!  We all have the same problem…..at least we are not alone :-()