[guide] How to Trigger Zaps at ANY Time with Slack Reminders
Reminders are great!
Reminders get info out of your head and prompt you when scheduled.
If you’re using Slack and not taking advantage of their Reminders feature, then you’re missing out!
(Read more about Slack Reminders: https://slack.com/help/articles/208423427-Set-a-reminder)
These apps will be covered in this how to guide for scheduling Zaps to process at set dates and times.
- Delay by Zapier
- Schedule by Zapier
- Google Calendar
- Webhooks (ADVANCED)
- You want to trigger a one-off Zap on command at a future time. (Slack)
- You don’t want to trigger the Zap now. (Webhooks)
- You don’t want to trigger the Zap on a set schedule. (Schedule by Zapier)
- You don’t want to clutter your GCal with Events that trigger Zaps. (Google Calendar)
- You may want to have your Zap triggered +/- 30 days in the future. (Delay by Zapier)
Slack Reminders to the rescue!
Plus, Slack is free to use.
See options below for the different approaches and shortcomings.
Option 1: Delay by Zapier
Using Delays in Zaps can be useful, but only if delaying for a period of time in the near future. (under 30 days)
Delay by Zapier has limitations to be aware of.
- Delay For: Note that the maximum we can hold a task is for 1 month, so you won't be able to set the Delay For trigger for longer than 4 weeks.
- Delay Until: Note that the maximum we can hold a task is for 1 month.
- If the date passed into the Delay Until field is greater than 1 month from when the zap triggered, it will error out.
- Delay After Queue: Note that the maximum we can hold a task is for one month (31 days).
Option 2: Schedule by Zapier
Zaps can be triggered on set schedules, but those will trigger repeatedly unless the Zap is turned OFF.
- Every Day
- Every Hour
- Every Week
- Every Month
Option 3: Google Calendar
The Google Calendar Event Start trigger can be used to trigger a Zap, but that means cluttering your Calendar and may impact your availability.
Zapier Community Topic
Guide on how to create a long delay with Google Calendar to trigger a Zap:
Use Google Calendar's New Event Start Trigger to Create a Long Delay
Help Article: https://zapier.com/help/doc/google-calendar-tips-tricks#use-google-calendars-new-event-start-trigger-to-create-a-long-delay
Option 4: Webhooks
Webhooks can be used to trigger a Zap on demand when invoked by a designated URL.
NOTE: This is an advanced approach that uses technical concepts.
Option 5: Slack
Slack Reminders provide the flexibility for scheduling and managing when you want Zaps to trigger.
- Quick to create with a Slack slash command (/remind)
- Easy to manage (view/complete/delete) with a Slack slash command (/remind list)
- Can be applied to different Slack Channels
- Can be set to be recurring at desired intervals
- Can be structured to include additional data that can be used in Zaps
TIP: Learn about Slack Slash Commands: https://slack.com/help/articles/201259356-Slash-commands-in-Slack
Overview of the structure for a Reminder to a Slack Channel.
Example of how to structure a Reminder:
Make sure you get a confirmation from Slack that the Reminder has been set correctly.
BONUS: See and manage your Slack Reminders (Upcoming, Recurring, Past & Incomplete) with this handy shortcut slash command: /remind list
Example of a simple Zap that is triggered by a Slack Reminder.
- Trigger: Slack - New Message Posted to Channel
- Pick your desired #channel
- Action: Filter
- See screenshot below for conditions
- This is key!
- Action: Twilio - Send SMS
- Include contents of the Slack Reminder message
Trigger: Slack - New Message Posted to Channel
Action: Filter - Conditions & Criteria
Action: Twilio - Send SMS
Example results when the Zap triggers and runs!
Slack Channel Reminder
Example of the Reminder sent to the Slack Channel at the designated date and time, which then triggers the Zap.
Check your Zap Runs for triggered Zaps, possible errors/issues, and details about the DATA IN/OUT for each step: https://zapier.com/app/history/
Example of the SMS that was sent by the Zap and received by the end user.
There you have it, the power of Slack Reminders!
How will you use Slack Reminders to trigger Zaps?
TIP: When in doubt, test it out.
Tips and Inspiration contributed by: Troy Tessalone - Automation Ace