• 14 January 2021
  • 1 reply
How to Parse JSON style key value pair arrays into Zapier Mappable Values
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
  • Zapier Staff
  • 19 replies

Intro

Sometimes we get data from a previous Step that contains multiple fields as as an array/line-item of names and values instead of individual values with their own unique names that we can map into later Steps. The source of the data could be any app, but more commonly it would be from an advanced action such as a Webhook Step. 

Let’s take a look at how we can make these values mappable.

For example

We may want to map a value called firstname from a set of custom values but instead of being able to map that, we have data that looks like this:

When we try to map that into later Steps, we see a line-item value of all the different custom field values instead of just the one we want - email:

Solution

We can solve this problem by using 2 Steps: A Formatter by Zapier Step followed by a short bit of Code in a Code by Zapier Step.

The Formatter Step will be the Utilities Action and the Line-item to Text transform. The reason that we want to start with this is to make sure that if there are any commas or empty elements in our line items that they don’t get split up incorrectly or dropped, respectively. Inputting line items directly into a Code Step can have that effect in some situations.

In the Formatter Step, we can map both the “name” array and the “value” array separated by some text that is unlikely to exist in our values. In this case, I used ***. We also want to put a custom separator between each name and value pair. I’ve used ||| in this case as it is different from *** and is also unlikely to appear in our values:

When we test the Formatter Step, we can see that we get a text value output that contains all the value names and values with the separators in-between:

Next, we want to add a Code by Zapier Run Javascript Action. Don’t worry if you don’t understand the code below. You can paste the Code into the Code field as is without making any changes. Be sure to set an Input Data field as text and map in the text value from the Formatter as shown in green here:

Here is the code for you to copy into your Code Step:

const text = inputData.text.split('|||');
let obj = {};
text.forEach((element) => {
const [name, value] = element.split('***');
obj[name] = value;
});
output = [obj];

When we test the Code Step, we can see that it has processed our text from the Formatter into a series of single values that we can now map into later Steps (highlighted in red). For example, if we wanted to map the email field (highlighted in green), we now have that as an individual value:

Here’s what that looks like if we go to the following Step and try to map those values. As you can see, they are now individually selectable:

I hope this helps you more easily access fields that aren’t easily accessible because they come through in an unexpected structure!

If you have any questions about this, I’d be happy to field them here!

Please note

We aren't always able to help with Code questions via Zapier Support because not everyone on the Support Team is familiar with Javascript and Python, and supporting custom code is technically outside of our scope of support. A great place to ask if we can't support you directly is here in our community or on Stack Overflow by tagging your question "Zapier": https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/zapier

1 reply

Hello,

Thanks for posting this. I came across it looking for a solution to this issue, but mine is a bit more complex so the above doesn’t work exactly as expected.

My data comes comes in an array where each object can have a slightly different schema. To give an example, each object in the array might have a Description, so say a 3 item array will come through as Description like Item1,Item2,Item3 but say only Item1 and Item3 has a property called Rate, and that will come through as Rate1,Rate3

You can see how solutions that manipulate strings can come up short in this situation - the descriptions don’t line up to the corresponding rates and concatenating these into a string and parsing that will give unexpected results.

Ideally I’d just like to take the raw JSON output of the trigger (it’s Qwilr btw) and send it out as-is in another action, but I can’t see how to do this so I’m trying to reconstruct an array back into a format I can reliably parse.

What is the best solution to this problem?