Get Slack notifications when an important email arrives in Gmail

• 3 February 2021
  • 0 replies
Get Slack notifications when an important email arrives in Gmail
Userlevel 4

Hi everyone! Clint here again with another Workflow Wednesday.

I don’t know about you, but this is what my personal Gmail inbox looks like:

I apologize to the inbox zero people for the sudden rise in blood pressure

I’m not the most organized person in the world, it turns out. So, it helps to have some extra tools to catch things that I might not catch, even with my highly-tuned system of “reading the subjects of emails, sometimes.”

That’s why I set up a Zap that sends me a message in Slack every time I get an email from Jira! I work on a few projects and, from time-to-time, I’ve missed an email letting me know there’s an update. Now, it’s much harder for me to miss since I have a bot gently nudging me about it as soon as it happens.

It’s a pretty simple Zap, but not one that would have occurred to me personally! One of my colleagues suggested it, and it’s been tremendously useful. Here’s the setup:

Trigger: New Email Matching Search in Gmail

This is a simple trigger: when a new email comes in, if it matches the search, then trigger the Zap. I have mine set to search for “[JIRA]”, which is in the subject of all the Jira emails I get. But you could do anything you like, including things like “from:mom OR from:dad”, which would trigger on emails from either of your parents. Here’s what mine looks like:

03d53bd82553e84d93a2279a4eb4f1f7.png
(view larger)

Action: Send Direct Message in Slack

This is also pretty simple - I’m simply sending myself a message from a bot in Slack, which contains the subject and contents of the Email, along with a link back to the email in case I want to see the source. Pretty simple, but effective. Here’s the setup:

ee578792bc0772091aea5521260c966e.png
(view larger)

And here’s what it looks like when I get a message:

d42b39f1dc5933146f4845b99f19880d.png
(view larger)

So there you have it! A quick and easy Zap that’s saved me a couple of times already since I set it up. I hope this helps you too!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!