Question

Need help troubleshooting Zendesk Update Ticket action

• 12 January 2024
  • 9 replies

I’m trying to create a Zap that uses an action to update a Zendesk ticket with a new priority (either urgent or high) depending on some results of a different API call. I also want to add a new tag to indicate it’s been modified by this Zap, right now it’s called ‘auto_prioritized_by_zapier’.

During my testing I tried updating a ticket, but it wasn’t updating with the new priority or tag and I thought it might be because it’s in testing so it isn’t actually updating anything. So I temporarily published it/turned it on and got a single live run to update a specific ticket, but it wasn’t updated.

I’m not sure why this isn’t working, maybe I’m setting up the action incorrectly, maybe it’s something else but I haven’t found any answers yet. Why would the update action be failing? In the data out section of the zap history, it shows the details of the ticket I’m trying to update without the new priority or tag. (i.e. not updated)

data in
data out new priority - cropped for data privacy

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @esg-iyounghusband 

Can you post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give us full context?

The path I’m testing, the others are pretty much the same
triggers on new ticket
no organization selected - in test I can see our new tickets so I think it’s fine
the rules to go down the left path
python code to grab data from our api - user ids, url, and secret key omitted
filter to continue - no need to continue if the new priority isn’t high or urgent
update zendesk ticket action
update zendesk ticket action configuration - the rest of the parameters (not shown) are empty

Another thing I’m confused about is that when testing this update ticket action, it makes it sound like it’s making a new ticket, rather than updating one.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@esg-iyounghusband 

Do you always want to update the same Ticket?

If not, then make sure to map the Ticket ID from a previous step.

@Troy Tessalone In the end I want to update whichever ticket caused the trigger, but for now I’m updating only this single ticket for testing to avoid messing with real tickets

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@esg-iyounghusband

The Priority field is a dropdown field, which expect certain values.

Can you post a screenshot from the list of dropdown options?

Check this help article for guidance: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps#01H7FR09FBEAKK4ZZP678QDE9T

For example, in the screenshot below, the expected value is 529 for Slash.

@Troy Tessalone 

looks like ‘urgent’ and ‘high’ are valid options

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@esg-iyounghusband 

Can you show the DATA OUT for this?

@Troy Tessalone

omitted some personal data, afaik all of this data matches what the ticket has before I try to update it. of note are the priority and tags are unchanged (normal priority, and plays_tpb + ios tags)

edit: screenshot file seems to be too big - cutting it into pieces… done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@esg-iyounghusband 

At this point you may want to open a ticket with Zapier Support for help troubleshooting.

https://zapier.com/app/get-help

FYI: Zapier is rolling out a new Logs tab that will show the raw request/response for deeper troubleshooting.