Best answer

Google Drive error: While requesting "dev_file" from Microsoft Outlook, undefined, it doesn't belong to targeted mailbox

• 26 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to grab a file attached to an Outlook email and upload to either Google Drive or OneDrive.

In Outook, I have a shared inbox that I have access to, and a rule that moves specific emails to the shared inbox. Every email moved to the shared inbox will have exactly one PDF attachment.

The zap fails when trying to upload the file. Everything works fine up to that point. The error I get is the same (below) whether I’m using Drive or OneDrive, so I think the issue is with Outlook.

The error looks similar to this discussion in Power Automate, but I don’t know if it’s a red herring -- and if not, I don’t know how to translate the solution into Zapier: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Using-Connectors/Item-Id-doesn-t-belong-to-the-current-mailbox/td-p/528537

icon

Best answer by SamB 29 September 2023, 14:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @bridgman, welcome to the Community! 🙂 

I did some checking on this and found an open bug report for an issue that matches the behaviour you’re seeing with the Microsoft Outlook app. So I’ve gone ahead and added you to the list of affected users. I can’t give any estimates on when it will be fixed but we will notify you by email the minute it is.

Currently, it seems that the error is only occurring for attachments being accessed from shared mailboxes. As a workaround, perhaps the emails could be forwarding to a non-shared mailbox? I’m thinking that would allow you to set the Zap up to look at those forwarded emails instead and access the attachments that way.

If you do give that workaround a try please do let us know how it goes. Would love to know for certain whether that solves it in the interim! 

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam,

Thank you for responding! I came to the same conclusion that it was the result of using a shared mailbox. In other systems, a solution has been to explicitly add a password to the mailbox, but Zapier doesn’t seem to support multiple credentials for Outlook so I’m stuck.

Maybe there’s a different way to achieve what I want -- I don’t want Zapier to fire on every incoming email and was hoping I could use Outlook rules to move the emails of interest to the shared inbox that was tied to Zapier. Zapier’s Outlook integration doesn’t seem to support monitoring a folder. Is there a better way?

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m so sorry for missing your reply here, @bridgman

I’m not sure if the error was solely due to the use of a shared mailbox, but I’ve just had an update that the bug relating to that error has now been resolved. So the Google Drive action should no longer be running into those errors from Microsoft Outlook. 🎉

If you find that the Microsoft Outlook is still issuing these errors in your Zaps I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team to investigate further. They’ll be able to investigate further and help troubleshoot further. You can get in touch with them via the contact form here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help 🙂