Best answer

Firebase/Firestore: "Unable to verify that your connection has access to the Firebase/Firestore project" error

• 6 September 2023
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1

Sorry to hear you’re now running into a 404 error here, @Fsl.  

I did some checking and it looks like we’ll sometimes see a 404 when the account connection to Firebase/Firestore was added with the Project ID and it needs to use the RTDB (Realtime Database) Project ID instead. 

Can you reconnect your app account and use the projectId in the following format: projectId-default-rtdb. For example, if your projectId was project123 you’d use: project123-default-rtdb

After it’s reconnected with the RTDB Project ID, could you try pulling in a new test record and confirm whether that works?

Hi, I have used this new format and the connection is failing. 

“Unable to verify that your connection has access to the Firebase/Firestore project "edexia-default-rtdb””

icon

Best answer by SamB 22 September 2023, 13:25

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @99plus, welcome to the Community!

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve split your post here out into it’s own topic as the error is different from the one that was being discussed previously.

I’ve seen that “Unable to verify that your connection has access to the Firebase/Firestore project” error come up before where a collection didn’t exist. Do you think that could be the case here? If so, can you try adding a collection, then attempt to connect to Firebase/Firestore again?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Userlevel 1

Yes, I have existing data in both my realtime and firestore databases, and I have added the collection. The ‘app’ connection seems to work but I cannot write data to any path, while the ‘app-default-rtdb’ connection fails with the above error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to hear that, @99plus. Did you add the collection before or after you attempted to connect the Zap to your Firestore account?

If you added the collection after, but didn’t add a new connection to Firestore:
Can you try adding a brand new account connection via the My Apps page to see if that fixes it?

If the collection was present before you added the connection to Firestore: 
Can you check the "Database" tab in Firestore to ensure you have the correct permissions? Just thinking that perhaps it could be that the account your connecting to needs to request access from the project owner. For example:
6e4e503bfb2dc3ddf2a2541ab819c765.png

Keen to ensure this gets resolved so will be keeping an eye out for your reply!

Userlevel 1

@SamB, I’ve tried adding a brand new connection as well as my rules have been configured like so:

{
  "rules": {
    "some_path": {
      "$uid": {
        // Allow only authenticated content owners access to their data
        ".read": "auth !== null && auth.uid === $uid",
        ".write": "auth !== null && auth.uid === $uid"
      }
    }
  }
}

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me here, @99plus. 🙂

Where is your database is located? Asking as only US-hosted databases are currently supported, so I’m wondering if that’s potentially what’s causing the issues in connecting here.

Do you think that might be the root cause of the issue here or are you attempting to connect to a US based Firestore database?

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’ve migrated to a US-hosted database and everything is working.

Except the authentication expires every couple of days, leading to the automation failing. How can I make the authentication permanent?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s great news @99plus! I’m so pleased to hear that migrating the database over to US hosting helped to resolve the issue. 🎉

Except the authentication expires every couple of days, leading to the automation failing. How can I make the authentication permanent?

Ah yes, it looks like the Firebase / Firestore app doesn’t automatically renew it’s authentication tokens like some other apps do. So if the Zap runs and tries to use an expired authentication token then the step will fail.

I did some looking into this and it seems there’s a bug reported where the authentication tokens are expiring too frequently and not being automatically renewed. So I’ve gone ahead ahead and added you to the list of folks being impacted by this issue which will help to increase it’s priority. I can’t give any sort of ETA as to when this would be fixed by but we’ll be sure to notify you by email as soon as it is! 

There isn’t currently any workarounds reported for automatically reconnecting your Firebase / Firestore app account unfortunately. You’d need to continue reconnecting your Firebase / Firestore app account manually. Sorry for the less than ideal news here, but if we come across a workaround for this in the meantime we’ll share details of it here!

I’m experiencing this same issue. Are there any new updates?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for reaching out here @David Hardenbrook. I’m so sorry you’re running into that bug as well. 

I’ve just checked back in on the bug report and it appears to still be ongoing. I can’t make any promises around as to when it would be resolved by. But I’ve added you to the list which will help to increase it’s priority, and ensures that you’ll get an email notification from us the moment it’s been resolved.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. As soon as I get any updates on this I’ll be sure to pop back in the thread here to keep you all in the loop! 🙂

Thank you for the update.

I tried to implement a work around by setting up a zap that would create a dummy document once every hour in the hopes that it would keep the session alive. Unfortunately, it does not. 

It seems as if something is killing the refresh token on the Zapier side. But there is already a bug reported so hopefully that address it. 

David

Hey, i got the same problem, can you add me on the list to notify, when firebase is working correctly again

I’ve had a few emails with support on this issue. Its been present on my end since Nov 2023 and still ongoing. 

Would love a workaround as its causing so much manual work not having my set zaps run for such a simple task. 

Anyone having a better experience on a different platform? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @MinhTV and @BeauIVI, thanks for reaching out here. 🙂

@MinhTV - I’ve added you to the bug report too so we’ll definitely notify you once’s it’s been sorted. 

@BeauIVI - really sorry for all the hassle caused by having to manually carry out the work that should be being handled by a Zap.

Adding new folks to the bug report does help to bump up it’s priority but unfortunately I can’t give any kind of estimate as to when a fix can be expected. There aren’t any workarounds reported that could get around the frequent reconnections needed, but if I come across anything on that front I’ll be sure to share details of that here. 

Thank you all for your ongoing patience on this, I do hope a fix will be implemented soon! 🤞

@SamB I’m also experiencing this same issue, would you mind adding me to the list, please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @amtrekker,

I have added you as another affected member to the open bug report. While we can’t provide an exact ETA for the bug’s fix. We will let you know via email once it is.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

I’m also experienceing this issue. Firebase auth requires constant maunual reconnection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Kaleb,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I have added you as contact information to the open bug report as another affected member. We will let you know via email once the bug has been fixed.

I am also having the same issue. Can you please log me too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @GTHuser,

It looks like the bug report has been closed. If you’re still running into this issue. I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help