Question

Email Parser -> Create New Row in Google Sheets tests fine, runs successfully, but rows don't write

• 6 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I have a trigger step that is an Email Parser. It ingests forwarded emails from a Gmail inbox and pulls out some values from the body text.

Those values are sent as variables to a Create Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets action step. This step takes those values and fills in a row of a Google sheet. 

The zap ran well in testing and successfully wrote two rows from two emails. Since turning the Zap on, it has been triggered about five times in the normal course of business. All instances have run successfully and there are no errors in the log. However, the data has stopped actually writing to the Google Sheet.

The log shows green check marks for both steps, and the data variables for all the cells I’m trying to fill in are successfully populated with data all the way through the action step. I just can not figure out what the hang up is! And I can’t get any error messages to give me a hint.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AlexLewis1313 

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

In order for us to have full context, post screenshots with how the steps are outlined, and configured, thanks.

Makes sense, thanks! Here’s a screenshot showing the data out (redacted some PII). 

It has the right data out for all of the columns in the spreadsheet - but in the spreadsheet itself, this data is nowhere to be found.

Please let me know if I’m not providing enough context/screenshots.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AlexLewis1313 

Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

We would need to see the DATA OUT for Step 1 and the DATA IN for Step 2.

Got it. Here’s DATA OUT for Step 1 (Email Parser/New email) and DATA IN for Step 2 (Google Sheets/Create spreadsheet row).

All looks fine in the steps, but nothing writes to the sheet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AlexLewis1313 

Examples below of what looks like the email parser NOT properly parsing certain data points.

From experience, the free Zapier Email Parser is not very reliable/robust.

Other options to explore for consistency: