Best answer

Use different Google Sheet URLs to retrieve rows from different files

• 23 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’m looking for a solution to execute this workflow in Google Sheets:

Step 1

In a Worksheet (Google Sheet A) I save a list of different URLs pointing to different Google Sheets (Google sheet 1,2,3,4,5…). I write the URLS in the same column,  in different rows.

Step2

When a new URL of a new Google Sheet is added (URL Google sheet 1, 2,3,4,5…) in the specific column, I trigger the workflow

Step3

I need to go the that single Google Sheet (since I have the URL of Google sheet 1, 2,3,4,5…), go to a specific Worksheet, retrieve a single row (the only one existing, no problem of lookup)

Step4

Store the retrieved Row (from Google sheet 1, 2,3,4,5…) to a different Google Sheet B

I didn’t find a solution to execute Step3.

I have the URL of the google sheet from Step2, I tried to execute a lookup step but if I put the URL of the sheet as Custom Value in Spreadsheet field, Zapier is not resolving the Worksheet name field and the lookup column field. They are all required field to enable the lookup.

Is there any other way to approach these? Any idea or test?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 23 April 2021, 14:44

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@CSZaps 

if in step 3 it is the only row, add a column that will act as your lookup column. In all sheets, the lookup column would have the same, static value. Then in Zapier, you can lookup by the lookup column. 

As for dynamically filling in the worksheet, I would suggest the worksheet you look on be Sheet1 which by default usually has a GID of 0. Otherwise, you will need to find someway to get the GID of the sheet you need to reference (it can be found at the end of the url I.e edit#gid=1592494358 ). 

Lastly, when first setting everything up, you will need to manually select the dropdowns for Spreadsheet, Worksheet, and Lookup Column. Then you can replace with dynamic fields  

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your support!

It worked the trick to manually set the ID and than set the field to dynamic filling.

Great!

Have a nice weekend.

Luca