Question

Squarespace isn't sending customer name to Stripe

• 8 September 2021
  • 20 replies

Badge

I used a formatter to extract the customer email address to get the Stripe customer to be sent an automated email from Flodesk.

Now, how do I get the Stripe customer first name and last name to be sent to Stripe and have the First Name separated from Last name so that I can send the automated personalized email message.

Thank you

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @helpmeplease 

Try adding another Zap step: Stripe Find Customer

Badge

When I go to Find Customer then I’m given these two options.

When I select Customer ID and match it to the id then I get a fail “The app returned "No such customer: '[with the customer id]’”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@helpmeplease 

If you already have the email address then use the other option: Customer Email Address

I used a formatter to extract the customer email address to get the Stripe customer to be sent an automated email from Flodesk.

Badge

Ok this showed up:

But then it says:

Badge

I even just now changed the query to pull in the formatter description email address but then still get the same Bargle message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @helpmeplease 

Is this an actual email address that exists in Stripe?
Looks like it might be a dummy email address.

Badge

Yes it is my email address, I just cut off the rest of the domain for privacy. Here’s a screenshot from Stripe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@helpmeplease 

Did you authenticate the Stripe app in Zapier with a Test or Live mode API Key?

Stripe Test Mode

We use Stripe API keys for authentication, so you can connect a Stripe account by using your Stripe "test secret key".

If you do that, you can trigger your Zap from transactions in your Stripe account which were created in test mode. Stripe's test card numbers only work in their test mode:
https://stripe.com/docs/testing#cards

However, if you connect to Stripe using the test secret key, your Zap will not trigger on any Live transactions in your Stripe account. To do that, you'd need to reconnect, or connect a new Stripe account, using your "live secret key" instead.

Badge

Yes I am doing a Stripe formatter in the first part of my zap so I know it’s connected properly. Is it because I’m runing two separate actions in one Zap that is making it not connect properly?

Action2. Text is formatting the email address and then I wanted to find the name so that I can have the name auto populate in my email provider.

Badge

I’m authenticated with live secret key

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@helpmeplease 

Make sure there are no leading/trailing blank spaces before the mapped value and from the extracted email address (Formatter > Text > Extract Email).

Also the trigger Stripe New Charge should return the Customer which is the Customer ID that could be used for the other Stripe Find Customer option.

Badge

Ok so yes the customer stripe ID does create a successful test but now I’m confused. I want to pull in the First Name of the customer and bring it back into my email provider so I can personalize the email.

Badge

Oh! Ok I see in the next step how I can pull in the name. Now it pulls in the full name, first and last. Can I just pull in the first for the First Name field and the last for a Last Name field?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@helpmeplease 

Try this step: Formatter > Text > Split

Badge

Hm when I do that then this pops up - The test runs successfully but it doesn’t actually split the name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@helpmeplease 

You need to specify a separator: [:space:]

Badge

The test is successful but it still doesn’t do anything.

Then the next step shows output is blank.

When I go to the last step to Flodesk email provider under the action this is what appears. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@helpmeplease 

There is no value for the mapped data point.

Badge

@helpmeplease It’s unfortunate that Squarespace only has a form integration with Zapier and nothing related to sales.

We used to have a handy hack where we triggered off Stripe and then used the metaID from Stripe to lookup the sale in Squarespace and get all of it’s information to populate other tools, unfortunately (this is like one of those kids’ good luck, bad luck stories…) it broke recently, possibly at the same time Squarespace deployed extensions. So… it’s possible what you’re trying to do has been broken as well. It may be that you have to use one of those many new extensions now the right data isn’t coming through from Stripe. (I don’t know if there’s anything on the road map to make Zapier connect better).

Badge

@helpmeplease I just found out that the key bit of data that passes from Squarespace to Stripe is back. Perhaps Squarespace has fixed whatever broke and your workflow will work now...?
If not, here’s our recipe for how to make a Zap use a Stripe trigger to do cool things with Squarespace sales. https://www.optimi.co.nz/blog/2020/6/6/how-to-automate-with-squarespace-and-zapier-and-get-your-order-info-in-real-time

Note. Using the above approach means you don’t have to rely on customer info coming through from Stripe.