Best answer

Sending an email when files or folders are added to OneDrive

• 14 February 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey there, I was talking to a friend about using Zapier to send someone an email when a file or folder is added to OneDrive.

There are 20+ accounts to watch, though. That is to say, whenever any one of these 20 people adds a file or folder to OneDrive, an office admin should receive an email. And the OneDrive trigger separates adding files and adding folders into two different actions.

To avoid making 40 Zaps (two for each account), I'm curious if anyone has ideas for doing this more efficiently. Maybe checking one drive periodically for whatever's new, and sending a digest at the end of the day, or something.

Grateful for any ideas!

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 15 February 2020, 01:32

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@adbaum When I run into these situations I tend to solve it by creating 40 2 step zaps, step 1 the trigger step is the new folder or new file for each account. step 2 would be to call a webhook for a main Zap. (passing any data you need)

then I'd have the main zap built with a webhook as the trigger and have it grab the information from the webhook that you need (file/folder name, username, etc)

This way I really have a simple two step zap to duplicate and change the username on for new employees/teammates etc. And the main meat of what happens is in the other zap that doesn't get duplicated.

Looking at your other idea of running a zap every day to query the files/folders for changes sounds good, but OneDrive's Zapier Integration doesn't seem like it will list out all files or all folders. I don't have access to a onedrive zap, but maybe you can confirm if this is possible or not. I assume it's not as the search seems to want to know a filename or folder name.

Userlevel 1

@PaulKortman That's a really interesting idea. I'll see what we can come up with, based on that.

I believe you're right about listing all files or all folders.

Thank you so much for this advice!