Best answer

Quickbooks Online - Line Item Support for Creating Purchase Orders?

• 19 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello!  I can’t seem to find “line item support” with the Quickbooks Online integration for creating Purchase Orders and Credit Memos??  See table below with Quickbooks / Zapier event integration details when trying to create a new Zap:

Quickbooks Online / Zapier - Line Item Support Events

Zapier seems to have line item support for many types of events, such as --- Invoices, Sales Receipts, Bill, Estimates, Find Products, etc -- but NO LINE ITEM SUPPORT for Purchase Orders or Credit Memos.

Am I missing something?  I’m currently testing this on a Zapier free plan, is this available on a paid plan?  If not, is there any way to accomplish this?  Workaround?

We are attempting to integrate our Google Spreadsheet and Airtable databases with Quickbooks Online.  In our typical workflow, we send an invoice to our customers that includes many items - each with a model, description, price/ea, and price/total.  At the same time, we create a purchase order in Quickbooks with the same multiple items (only difference really is price is at our cost and not a customer sales price).

Many thanks in advance for ideas / solutions here!

icon

Best answer by Liz_Roberts 21 August 2020, 22:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Here is an example Purchase Order in Google Sheets to explain what we are starting with:

Google Sheet Purchase Order
​​​

Our internal ordering system generates a new Google Sheet for each new Purchase Order.  We want to get all of this order information automatically into Quickbooks Online using Zapier including line item details.  We then want to be able to push this purchase order out to the Vendor via email using a manual trigger.

Since we generate this ourselves from our own system, we can reformat Purchase Order and related line items any which way is required in order for Zapier to do its thing.  For example, we can reformat this to be on a single row where the line items in each column are listed in a single cell using commas in between, like this:

Google Sheet reformatted so line items are flattened into cells using commas

When I attempted this integration using Zapier, I noticed that the event ‘Create Purchase Orders’ doesn’t include line item support.  Seems like this is available for creating invoices, sales receipts, etc, but not purchase orders.  Is this a premium feature?  How might I accomplish this?

Many thanks again for suggestions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @NYEvents ,

Thanks for reaching out!

At the moment, line items are not supported by “Create Purchase Order” or “Create Credit Memo.” Sorry about that- I’m unsure of any workarounds but hoping someone may chime in if they have come across one! 

Additionally, I have added you to a feature request for line items to be supported here- this will ensure that if there is an update, you will be notified via email. Please let us know if you have any additional questions- happy to help!

We’ve been successfully using line item support with Zapier and Quickbooks Online for about two years without any problems, except that strangely, the line item support does not provide access to the tax code field. We’ve managed to live with that limitation, but otherwise Zapier does most certainly seem to support line items in PO creation zaps. 

I don’t know how to specifically configure things whereby your spreadsheet PO can be setup to trigger the PO creation in QBO, but I’m pretty sure it should be possible. 

I need to do something similar and will be experimenting further soon. Will be interested to know if you make any progress.

Good luck!

@pgmaw , Does your PO have a single line item, or does it have multiple line items? How did you achieve this?

In all of my workflows to create a PO or create an Invoice, I end up with only the first line item in QBO.

Hi @NYEvents ,

Thanks for reaching out!

At the moment, line items are not supported by “Create Purchase Order” or “Create Credit Memo.” Sorry about that- I’m unsure of any workarounds but hoping someone may chime in if they have come across one! 

Additionally, I have added you to a feature request for line items to be supported here- this will ensure that if there is an update, you will be notified via email. Please let us know if you have any additional questions- happy to help!

Hey for the record, Infaco USA also needs to have line item support so that we have a way to turn data into a Purchase Order whether it be from Google Sheets, a CSV file, or some other data source.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @InfacoUSA! Welcome to the Community. 🙂

I’ve got your vote added to that feature request! As soon as we know more, you’ll receive an email notifying you. We’ll also be sure to keep this thread updated with any news.