Best answer

How to treat comma as part of text/escape comma

• 8 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am having some trouble with updating a profile field in a HubSpot Zap. The field in question has a list of possible options and they need to be matched accurately to register as an update in the HubSpot system. One of those options has a comma in it. 

If I hand type in the text it works, if I select from the provided list it works, if I pull in a result from one of the previous steps with a comma and try to test it doesn’t and the error only reports the text before the comma.

Here is a screenshot as an example

Custom fields with commas are treated as line items.

There is another community post with the same issue but the answer did not help in this situation. Using an alternate comma character or U+201A still presents me with the same error. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nicholas

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 8 December 2020, 06:37

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did you try encoding the comma as: %2C

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Did you try encoding the comma as: %2C

Yep, below is the message I got. It includes Food and Beverage now that the comma is missing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

In HubSpot Admin for the Property setup, are you able to change the expected values to NOT include the commas?

Otherwise, you may have to use the HubSpot API: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/overview?_ga=2.198620905.717881795.1607400316-1815929618.1595216650

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Unfortunately that is not the case. It has to be deleted and recreated once the internal value is set.

I am asking the support at HubSpot to see what they can do on their end as changing the internal values could possibly have a negative effect on records that currently have that value set, which according to the screenshot above looks like 288.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

As a workaround, in HubSpot, you could add a new option w/o commas, then filter/update those 288 records, then delete the old option w/ commas, thus preserving the record data.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

That may be the best answer moving forward. I may get a no from the boss on using HubSpot API when we already have plans on using Zapier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

FYI: APIs can be used via Webhook or Code 

steps in a Zap