Best answer

How to combine multiple Google Sheets into one Google Sheet?

• 28 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I have created a zap which downloads (via email) a file on a daily basis in a folder on google drive. Is there a way in Zapier where I can combine all the  individual google sheets into one “master” google sheet? This zap should be able to upload new data when a new google sheet is created within the folder. Thanks 

icon

Best answer by jesse 18 May 2022, 19:45

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @charlesriver 

Good question.

If the format of your GSheets is a CSV, then try using these Zap steps to add the data to a master GSheet.

1. Trigger: GDrive - New File in Folder (make sure to get the CSV format)
  2. Action: Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV File
  3. Action: GSheets - Create Row(s)

RESOURCE

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Thank you for replying

Could you explain what do you mean by “format of google sheets is csv”? 

On a daily basis I get an email with .xls attachment which shows tracking number. I am using a zap to

1. Download the xls file from email to a google drive
  2. Should I convert the xls file into “google sheet” within the zap? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@charlesriver 

It will depend on the format of the XLS file.

Can you provide a screenshot of the top 5 rows?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Here is the screenshot 

And this is what I am seeing if I create a zap to add info from newly added file in the folder to google sheet

I am only able to see the settings of the file and not what is inside the file 

I'm looking for the same thing. At the moment I'm there that the .xls files that I received daily by email, I can import as regular Google Sheets into my Google Drive. In this Google Drive, I have a ‘master worksheet’, from where other automations start to work.

Before, I would copy+paste the rows from one Excel into the sheet manually. But I get them into my inbox hourly now and it's a lot of times to get into this routine a day. So that's why now I'm working on importing those excels automatically into the Google Drive as a sheets file, only problem now seems to be a way to copy from one worksheet into another, but can't seem to figure out how.. 

Hopefully someone else has an idea!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@charlesriver & @L.Verhagen 

Correct, the file contents are not available for use in the Zaps only the file metadata.

The workaround is to get the CSV version of the file after it’s uploaded to GDrive.

Then you can use Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/import-csv-files-into-zaps

Follow that by a GSheets Create Row(s) action.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you @Troy Tessalone . This worked perfectly. Much appreciated 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Glad to see we were able to work through this one! I am going to consolidate Troy’s suggestions here for anyone following along:

If the format of your GSheets is a CSV, then try using these Zap steps to add the data to a master GSheet.

1. Trigger: GDrive - New File in Folder (make sure to get the CSV format)
  2. Action: Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV File
  3. Action: GSheets - Create Row(s)

The file contents are not available for use in the Zaps only the file metadata.

The workaround is to get the CSV version of the file after it’s uploaded to GDrive.

Then you can use Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/import-csv-files-into-zaps

Follow that by a GSheets Create Row(s) action.