Best answer

How do I update from one monday.com board to another without standard unique identifiers?

• 8 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m trying to sync updates from one board’s item to another board’s item that are connected by a “Connect Boards” column. There are no common unique identifiers between the boards, so I thought I could use a mirrored Item ID column from Board A on Board B. I’m running into an issue where the zap is returning all items for step “Get Item by Column Value in monday.com” because the zap won’t recognize the column to search in.

Does anyone have any workarounds or other ideas on how to accomplish syncing updates from Board A to Board B? Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Elisse 22 September 2023, 10:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @erusso 

Good question.

Can you post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give us more context?

Along with screenshots of the returned data from the Zap step?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, Troy! Screenshots below: 

Zap Setup: 

Zap step in question - I hardcoded the “Item ID” because the test sample isn’t one I can use ATM, but when published I would use the “Item ID” from step 1. 

Step Results (I can’t capture all results in the screenshot, but it’s every item on the board): 

Let me know if you need more screenshots - I appreciate the help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@erusso 

If you used the ‘Custom’ option to set the mirror5 column ID in the ‘Column to search in’, then that likely explains the encountered results.

If you look at the dropdown list of options for the ‘Column to search in’ field, I’m guessing your Mirror field was not an available option.

Mirror fields are advanced fields and likely not supported for this Monday Zap action.

If you are trying to use the Mirror field to find matching records across Monday Boards, then you may have to use the Monday GraphQL API: https://developer.monday.com/apps/docs/mondayapi

App APIs can be used with these apps:

• Code
  • Webhooks

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Troy Tessalone! I think I’ll have our users manually copy the item ID into a column that’s recognized in the zap in the destination board instead of going the API route - it should be pretty manageable for them. That’s good to know about the mirror column limitations with searching, so I appreciate your help :) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I do have a follow-up question. The zap is “Working”, but it’s still posting as me and not the user who made the update. I changed all of the connected accounts to be my coworker’s “monday app” using her personal API token. Any ideas how to change this?

Board A Update: 

Board B Update: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@erusso 

You can check the Monday app connection being used in each Zap step.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone! I think I’ll have our users manually copy the item ID into a column that’s recognized in the zap in the destination board instead of going the API route - it should be pretty manageable for them. That’s good to know about the mirror column limitations with searching, so I appreciate your help :) 

I actually have a workaround for this.

1. In your Monday «board B», if you haven’t already done it, first set up a text column that will contain a copy the of the item ID from board A.
  2. Set up a status column named something like «copy item ID». Give «copy item ID» two statuses:
    1. copy item ID
    2. “done”, or just “…”
  3. Set up this automation in your Monday board:
    1. Trigger: when column changes (select the connect boards column where you link the items to board A)
    2. Action: change status «copy item ID» to «copy item ID».
  4. Create this zap:
    1. Trigger: Specific Column Value Changed in Board. Select your board, and the «copy item ID» status column.
    2. Set a filter: only continue if «copy item ID» status column exactly matches «copy item ID».
    3. Action: Change Multiple Columns Value.
      1. Board ID: board B
      2. Item ID: select custom and use Event Pulse Id from step 1 (trigger).
      3. Text column for item ID: mirror5 (?) (the mirror column with item ID from board)
      4. «copy item ID» status: done/…

Result:

• Every time someone links an item in the connect boards column in board B, monday.com will trigger the automation - which again triggers the «copy item ID» zap.
  • You other zap, that syncs updates between the boards, can get the item in board B using item ID from board A as you want.
  • For existing items in board B: select all, and change the new status to «copy item ID». Voila! All ID’s are copied with no manual work :)
Userlevel 1
Badge

Wow, Elisee! Thank you for sending and what a workaround 😁. I just built it and it worked! Appreciate it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @erusso! Glad to hear everything is now sorted out! A big shoutout to @Elisse for sharing the workaround! 🎉

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗