Question

How do I trigger Zapier Zap only when the value falls below zero in Google Sheets?

• 13 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi I managed to create a Zap that create a draft email when rows are updated on a oogleSheet file. It works pretty fine. I wuld like to tune it a little bit.

Actually I want the email to be created only when value of  cell D2 falls below zero. 

In the google Sheet i put a formula that says … IF( D2 is greater than 0, False, “D2”) In this way zap doesen’t gets triggered at every change of data but if the value of D2 falls  below 0 ZAP gerts triggered, but it happens also when D2 raise again from zero. (i.e friend top up their credit of a car we are using toghether)

Can you suggest a way so that  zap is triggered only when value falls below zero?

I cannot think of anything.

Thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @andreajordan 

Good question.

You may run into this issue:

The "Updated Spreadsheet Row" trigger stopped triggering

If you're watching for changes to a column, we only see new values in that column.
If you update the column of an existing row to a value that Zapier previously saw in that column, in that row, we won't see the new value.
You will need to either choose a column that will only have unique values, or make a new one which will.

For example, if you had X in the Trigger column, then changed it to Y, the Zap would trigger.
If you then changed it back to X it would not trigger again, because the Zap has already seen X in that column.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@andreajordan 

You may want to consider a different approach using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has a Formula field.

Airtable has Automations.

Airtable Automations have a native integration with Gmail.

Actually my GSheet is linked to an app … cannot change it, Using Importrange I copy data in another sheet on which I’m trying to set this automation. My values are like the ones below. My trigger column is Controllo where I have the formula IF (A2 >0; False; A2). Let’s say that

value in cel A2 goes from -1.6 to +10 and so False → Zap will be triggered … 

then it falls to -2 →  zap wil be triggered

then it goes to -3.2 →  zap will be triggered

then it goes up to +8 and so False again … at this point from what you said I understand that Zap will not be triggered. Is this correct?

Saldo Controllo
-€ 1,60 -€ 1,60
-€ 1,90 -€ 1,90
€ 31,30 FALSO
-€ 4,90 -€ 4,90
€ 36,50 FALSO
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@andreajordan 

For example, if you had X in the Trigger column, then changed it to Y, the Zap would trigger.
If you then changed it back to X it would not trigger again, because the Zap has already seen X in that column.

The "Updated Spreadsheet Row" trigger stopped triggering

If you're watching for changes to a column, we only see new values in that column.
If you update the column of an existing row to a value that Zapier previously saw in that column, in that row, we won't see the new value.
You will need to either choose a column that will only have unique values, or make a new one which will.

I think I got it … I’ll give it a try!

Thanks a million!

Andrea