Best answer

How do I create a Todoist task with sub-tasks when a new task is added?

• 4 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I need Zapier to create a Todoist task and add sub-tasks under that newly-created task. Creating the task is easy and that part is done. However, I don’t see any way to add sub-tasks to it. Someone recently advised me that Todoist’s API documentation shows that the “Create a New Task” option includes creating sub-tasks by assigning a parent. But I don’t see any means for assigning a parent when building the Zap. Is there any way to automate sub-tasks with Zapier? Am I missing the “assign parent” field somewhere?

icon

Best answer by SamB 2 February 2024, 16:16

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @KrisG!

I can see that there isn’t currently an action on the Todoist Zapier integration that allows you to create subtasks. We do have a feature request open for this addition and I've added your email address as another vote for it. I don't have an ETA of when or if this will happen, but we will definitely email you if we add it in the future. 

In the meantime, there may be a way to do this using the API Request action for Todoist. This action allows you to make your own API request to Todoist using the authentication created when you connect your account with Zapier. Here’s a guide to using the API request action: Set up an API request (Beta)

I took a look at the Todoist API docs and found the section that deals with tasks. If you or someone in your team is familiar with APIs, you’ll be able to create an action that adds subtasks to the task. 

I’m sorry that we don’t have an ‘out of the box’ solution on this one, but we will be in touch if the feature request is added and I hope that you’re able to make some progress with the API request in the meantime. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi folks,

Just wanted to pop in here to share that it’s now possible to create subtasks with the Todoist app on Zapier! 😁🎉
b328e96660c162d59eb5b3d1a09fe878.png

Please note: This action was added using a beta feature known as Custom Actions, which you'll see denoted in the name of the action.

Please do give that new Create Subtask action a try and let us know how you get on with it. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡