Question

How do I connect Zoho Invoice with Gmail to create and attach paid invoices as PDFs?

• 1 September 2023
  • 17 replies

I there, I’m trying to connect zoho invoice with gmail, but I’m facing two problems:

The first one is that zoho invoice creates an invoice that has to be paid, although I need it to create an invoice that has already been paid to avoid me checking it to paid everytime manually

The second one is that I’m using gmail attachment and when i provide the link to the invoice, it doesnt just download it and attach it to e-mail but it create a file called “secure” without extension and it adds the file as attached, I’m looking to create the invoice and attach it as a pdf. 

Thank you guys very much!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @fil-design 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Help article about using files in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288813453

Hi @Troy Tessalone thanks for your reply, I’ll attach the screenshots!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design 

The Attachments field expects a file URL or a file object.

A file URL needs to be a publicly accessible direct download link.

You can test this by copy/paste the link into a browser, which should start a download of the file immediately.

If it does not, then it is not the correct link to use.

@fil-design

You can test this by copy/paste the link into a browser, which should start a download of the file immediately.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone 

Is there a work around for this? so I can attach the invoice? And Zoho invoice marks them as “needed to pay” when I want them to be paid invoice! 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design 

You’d likely have to use the Zoho Invoices API:

https://www.zoho.com/invoice/api/v3/invoices/#update-an-invoice

App APIs can be used in Zaps via these apps:

@Troy Tessalone thank you very mich! With zoho API i can change the status of the invoice to paid, but how can I resolve the invoice being attached in the email? How can I get a direct link? Is it possible through the API?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design

Is the invoice available as a file to download from the Zoho Invoice UI?

If yes, then post screenshots with what that looks like in the UI.

If it’s a button or link, then you have to determine the URL that is being invoked from the button/link.

@fil-design

Is the invoice available as a file to download from the Zoho Invoice UI?

If yes, then post screenshots with what that looks like in the UI.

If it’s a button or link, then you have to determine the URL that is being invoked from the button/link.

@Troy Tessalone thanks I think I found a work around for this. I’m now facing problem with the code by zapier, I can’t get my zoho invoice API to work. Is there a mini tutorial to follow for changing the status? I cant get it to work with just the zoho invoice api

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design 

You’ll have to rely on the Zoho Invoice API documentation for guidance.

You can use a Webhook app to make the API request instead of a Code step.

@Troy Tessalone can you suggest me one that works with the free plan?

@fil-design

You’ll have to rely on the Zoho Invoice API documentation for guidance.

You can use a Webhook app to make the API request instead of a Code step.

Hi @Troy Tessalone I’m now getting a new error when trying to attach the download file (I just copied the link that triggers when downloading the invoice from my dashboard) and it says: The app returned "The request could not be authenticated as the authentication value you entered is invalid. Enter a valid authentication value and try again.".

Only when using this particular link

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design 

If you use the Webhooks app, that is a Premium app, which requires a Zapier paid plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap step is configured along with the encountered error in order for us to have proper visibility.

@fil-design

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap step is configured along with the encountered error in order for us to have proper visibility.

thanks @Troy Tessalone i managed to solve it. I’m now creating the invoice correctly and setting their value to “sent” instaed of draft, but how do i keep my api token refreshed? I mean it expires every hour...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design 

You could add the authentication access/refresh flow into your Zap steps.

how? with code by zapier? because I’m changing the invoice status with javascript but I don’t know how to keep the token updated inwithin zapier with just code

@Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fil-design 

Have you tried asking ChatGPT for help generating the JavaScript code to do the authentication access/refresh?