Question

How do I assign a role in Discord to new Thinkific students who aren't in my server yet?

• 19 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I’m trying to send all new students in my Thinkific course to Discord and It’s working at the Thinkific end but how to I connect them to a role in Discord if they aren’t in my Discord server yet?

Is it even possible to create a placeholder in Discord for them to be assigned once they log in?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @DomDom282, welcome to the Community!

There isn’t an action for the Discord app that would allow you to set up a placeholder role for them. The existing Add Role (Discord) action would only be able to assign the role to a user that’s already on your server. 

It may be best to set up a Zap that triggers when a new user is added to your Discord Server (New User Added trigger), then assign them the necessary role (Add Role action). That way the Zap will only attempt to assign a role to them once they’ve joined your server.

Could that approach work or can folks join your Discord server who don’t sign up via Thinkific?

Thanks Sam,

That might be the way to go. We do get other people from Patreon but it is integrated so it sends them to Patreon and allocates a role. Any others who join will only come from Thinkific so this could work.

Just to clarify, would the (Add Role action) auto add all new users to the server to the role I select?

Dom

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @DomDom282,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

The “Add Role” action will auto add all new users to the role you’ve selected in the “Role” field. Like so:

73f440466fe23ad1ab2cde962f6e32d1.png
(view larger)

Hopefully, this helps! 

Thank you @ken.a. What do I enter in the user field? It only allows me to select a specific user.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @DomDom282,

You will want to map the User ID as a custom value in the “User” field. Here’s how:

84d36a7537ea0b1d0d2192732ff55e35.png
(view larger)

This setup will dynamically add a role to new users that joined your server.

Hopefully, this clears things up! 😊