Best answer

How do I add data to additional columns in a Microsoft SharePoint list item using Zapier?

• 20 July 2023
  • 6 replies

When using the “Create List Item in Microsoft SharePoint” action, only the “Title” column appears to be available. This would mean that in order to fully populate the list item with additional column data, I need to follow it with a run of the “Update List Item in Microsoft SharePoint” action using the ID from the initial action as the key. Is that really how this is supposed to work or am I misunderstanding something? It seems inefficient having to run two actions like that.

Only the Title column is available in the “Create List Item in Microsoft SharePoint” action. A second call of the “Update List Item in Microsoft SharePoint” action is required to add data to the additional columns?

icon

Best answer by SamB 12 September 2023, 17:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jeff Kubiatowicz 

Good question.

You’d likely need to use this Zap action: SharePoint - API Request

This would allow for multiple fields to be set beyond just the Title when creating the List Item.

SharePoint API: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/listitem-create?view=graph-rest-1.0&tabs=http

@Troy Tessalone, many thanks for your reply. As a beginner at all of this, I’ll evaluate the “pain” of running two actions vs the “pain” of writing json...I’ll bet the former will win out -- at least for now. Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @Jeff Kubiatowicz

Just checking in, did you manage to solve this in a single action using a Microsoft SharePoint’s API Request (Beta) action? 

Let us know if you need any further help here! 🙂

Hi @SamB, I just went with the two-Action approach. It gets the job done, I don’t have to deal with the raw HTTP request, and it’s a low-volume Zap so for the moment we can live with it. That said, I’m curious about why the default actions are broken into two separate calls -- if there’s a technical reason why they did it that way, I’d be interested in understanding why.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the letting us know, @Jeff Kubiatowicz! 🙂

I can’t officially speak to why there wasn’t a single “Create or Update List Item” action built for the Microsoft Sharepoint app. There are similar actions on other apps which are able to carry out multiple requests so I’d have thought that it there may have been a technical issue or limitation of some kind that prevented them from being combined into a single action when it was first built.

I did some further digging and found that there’s an existing feature request open to allow for more than just the title to be set when creating a list item. This feature request appears to have been asked about in the Community before: 

So I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that feature request. I can’t make any promises as to if/when that feature might get added but we’ll be sure to notify you by email once it is. 

In the meantime your solution to follow up the Create List Item action with a Update List Item action to add in the additional details seems like a good workaround for now. 

As we’ve already got one post tracking this feature request I’m going to close this one out now. For anyone who comes across this post and wants to add their vote to the feature request please reach out on the main topic and we’ll get that sorted for you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi friends, I have good news - the feature request has now been implemented! 😁🎉

The Create List Item action has been updated to allow the other fields on a list item to be populated, not just the title. There’s nothing extra you need to do to access this functionality, after selecting a list from the List field’s dropdown menu the additional fields for the list item will automatically load in the Zap. So you should be able to remove the additional Update List Item action that was being used to workaround the issue and save yourself some tasks! 

Should you run into any issues in loading the additional fields do let us know. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡