Best answer

How can I track new users in a Discord server with Google Sheets?

• 25 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi all! I’m trying to do what is says on the title:

• New user joins the Discord server
  • New row is added to the sheet
  • The row contains the user’s username, ID (prefaced by an @ character), joined at {date}

It passes the tests, but somehow it’s not tracking EVERY user that joins the server. I wanna do this so at the start of every week I can post a message that says “this week X amount of users joined. They are @user 1, @user 2, etc”

icon

Best answer by ken.a 27 September 2023, 10:05

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @usiriczman 

Good question.

Zaps work while turned ON for new data going forward.

All the Discord Zap triggers are scheduled meaning it can take from 1-15 minutes for those to fire depending on your Zapier plan.

Thanks Troy! That’s helpful. I had the zap on for a couple of weeks at least. But it only parsed one user every couple of days for some reason. That’s the last record, and I turned the zap off just now to make this post.

While the Members tab in the discord server shows that we had some people join just a couple of hours ago

Do you think there’s a way to fix this? Am I doing something wrong here? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@usiriczman 

It could potentially be a bug with the Zap trigger on the backend.

It could be an issue on the Discord side with making that data available.

If you have a Zapier paid plan, you can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

That’s fair, I don’t have a paid plan right now but maybe it’s worth investing in one just to fix this. Thanks for the answers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @usiriczman,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I understand from the previous messages that the Zap is missing some new users, even though there have been multiple new users in the past few hours. I would like to mention that in some cases when the number of users in Discord is large (typically over 1000), there might be issues with the “New User” trigger.

This is because the Discord application has to scan through all the users to identify the new ones, and with a large number of users, the process might not be completed accurately every time, leading to missed triggers.

Could you please let me know the total number of users in your Discord server?

Please keep us posted! 😊

Hey @ken.a, thanks for your answer!

Yeah, this seems to be the case. My discord server has over 7000 members.

Do you think there’s any way to fix this? I’ve tried leaving the zap on and it gets around 10% of total users and thet’s it.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @usiriczman,

I did some digging into this, and it seems that the trouble stems from certain API parameter limitations. I understand this can be quite a hassle, especially as it makes the New User Added trigger less helpful for larger servers - and unfortunately, in your situation, it renders this Zap fairly unusable. This is actually a common hiccup associated with the Find User action, and because the New User Added trigger uses the same style of GET request, it's likely to be a stumbling block for you. 

I've added your vote to the open feature request for functionality for servers over 1000 users. That does a few things.

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding.