Best answer

How can I get Zapier to write to Firebase realtime database?

• 1 October 2021
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Everyone

My issue:

I want to use a zap to trigger adding an entry to Firebase realtime database.

Have connected Zapier to my firebase project and several other apps including shopify, google sheets, and sendowl. All connections are verified and tested.

But when it gets to the trigger for the ‘Add child to Firebase realtime database’ part I get a 404 not found error every time no matter what combination of paths I try.

What I’ve tried:

I can add items to a firestore database in the same project and that seems to work perfectly so I know Zapier can find my project and talk to it. Unfortunately I have to use the realtime database for my project.

I have already spoken to 1 person at support who suggested it was a permissions issue on the firebase side but didn’t give any information as to what additional permissions Zapier might need or where they should go e.g. - Firebase authentication, project users and permissions, or google service accounts (which is not something I know much about). 

All the rest of the documentation seems to be about search query structure. All I want to do is add some nodes in a very simple tree.

Does anyone have any experience / success setting up Zapier to work with Firebase realtime database?

Any help would be massively appreciated!
Thanks!

Sam

icon

Best answer by samwellb 5 October 2021, 12:38

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @samwellb 

Perhaps post screenshots about how each of your Zap steps are configured.

You can open a ticket with Zapier Support for assistance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Make sure to review the available help articles for Firebase: https://zapier.com/apps/firebase/help

About Firebase's Integration

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for your reply.

As I say - currently all Zap attempts to connect to the firebase realtime database fail. Here’s an example zap using sendowl as a trigger (a shopify order addon):

Here is the firebase where I want it to go:

On a live test:

The firebase project connection is tested and verified and I can add records to a Firestore database using the same sendowl trigger so I know that Zapier is connected to my firebase project.

I did raise a support ticket and was told:

I've taken a look at our notes and found that this could be caused by some permission levels that need to be set in Firebase. Could you please check your "Database" tab in Firestore? You'll need to get permission to access the Database Collections from your project owner:

But I need more specific guidance as to what additional permission levels need to be set for Zapier to find the realtime database. I am the project owner and have full access. 

Are you able to advise? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@samwellb 

Some options to try…

Search the Zapier Community for topics related to “firebase” and “firestore” that may provide guidance.

https://community.zapier.com/search?q=firebase

https://community.zapier.com/search?q=firestore

Try using a temp step in the Zap for Find Record to see if that work and returns data that may help you determine how to properly configure the Create/Replace Record action.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks. Yep, I’ve searched the forum as extensively as I can. Nothing seems to match my issue.

The find trigger seems a lot more complex to use from the documentation as it requires specific syntax and things I am not familiar with. There are only a couple of parameters that can be altered in the Create/Replace Record action so unless you can see something that I’m doing wrong in the above example I’m not sure how a read test will help me, even if I could get it to work.

I think the issue is at the root connection between Zapier and the realtime database part of the project, whether it’s trying to read or write.

I have tried disconnecting the firebase connection, removing all records from the Firestore database, and reconnecting with only new objects in the Realtime database and at that point the connection will not work:

But if I put a document back in the firestore and reconnect with the same Google credentials it works again.

I really appreciate your help but is there anyone at Zapier who has specific experience with Firebase connections who you can connect me to in some way please? Firebase is such a huge platform I hoping someone somewhere must have gotten a workflow working with Zapier :joy:

Many thanks!

Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@samwellb 

FYI: Most Zap app integrations are created and maintained by the app developer on the Zapier Platform, rather than being managed by Zapier, altho I am unsure who owns this app’s integration with Zapier.

You can try reaching out to Firebase Support: https://firebase.google.com/support/troubleshooter/contact

You can try submitting another ticket to Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

Okay. Thanks Troy. Appreciate you taking the time.

If anyone else gets this far on the thread and has a working connection between Zapier and firebase realtime database please let me know. You’ll be an instant legend in my world!

Thanks

Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there @samwellb!

Thanks so much for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear about these errors! I can see you opened up a ticket and are in the process of chatting with my teammate, Joe. In the interest of transparency though, as much as we want to help, databases in particular are something the team offers limited support around due to their advanced and variable nature.

That being said, maybe a member of the community is able to chime in to share their legendary insight for us! There’s also always going the paid route and hiring an expert to set this up!

I’m sure you may have already stumbled on this in Firebase’s documentation but hopefully some of these links are useful.

There’s also a similar topic here that may be worth testing out.

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d 

Thanks for your reply and links. I appreciate that about database complexity but as I mentioned to support, the issue isn’t what I want to do on the database (which I appreciate can get complicated fast) but getting access to it at all.

We’d be more than happy to hire an expert to help us. Are you able to suggest an expert with specific zapier / firebase experience please?

The links to permissions and security that you listed above are all great but they cover a myriad of cases and applications. In order to make sense of which one areas are relevant I really need someone from Zapier to guide me in what Zapier specifically needs. Otherwise it’s a bit of the old needle in a haystack. 

I wouldn’t expect Zapier to be able to help with the in’s and out’s of database management, searching etc, basically all the stuff that could be done once connection is established. But I am a bit surprised that no one seems to know how to troubleshoot the basic connection in the first place. It does seem more like the ball for the that would fall more in Zapier’s court. Firebase is an enormous platform and it’s free to set-up so I would have thought it would have been a workflow Zapier could have easily tested and documented.

Anyway. If I manage to get it working I will post here the results for anyone else who is stuck.

Thanks and best wishes!

Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@samwellb 

Try reaching out here: https://zapier.com/experts/matchmaking

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Troy Tessalone 

Thats a great link!

Best wishes

Sam

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone @christina.d 

Quick update for you guys and anyone following the thread who runs into the same issue. Turns out that European databases are not supported currently! When you create a firebase project you can choose US, Asia or EU has the hosting server. Currently, as far as I’m aware, Zapier only connects with Firebase realtime databases hosted in the US. 

So I’m afraid the only solution is to create a brand new Firebase project and select US as the base, even if you’re elsewhere. The good news is that will then allow Zapier access and work as intended.

I have asked support to update the documentation to reflect this as it’s important for anyone thinking about building a system using both Zapier and Firebase to know before they go too far in on the Firebase side!

Anyways. Mystery solved. Thanks for your help

Sam

Userlevel 1

Quick update  - 

Turns out you can mix and match locations on Firebase. So while a project location is set at creation and can’t be changed, you can create a new database instance inside a project and choose ‘US’ as the location and Zapier will find it. Still not ideal if you have an existing EU database you are working with but at least you can keep EU projects as they are and not need to start entirely from scratch. 

Thanks

Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Amazing! Thanks so much for keeping us all updated on your progress, @samwellb. That is excellent feedback and appreciate the diligence in sharing the workarounds.

As my friend Ibrahem mentioned in your ticket, you’ll be notified directly via email with any updates on EU supported databases. For anyone following along, we’ll also be sure to keep this thread updated with any changes so feel free to continue monitoring here 🙂. 

Userlevel 1

Was this issue solved? I’m getting this error currently with the integration with a Firebase (realtime database, not cloud firestore) based in the US (east). Already contacted support about this. No success so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out, @diegosarmiento. Ah, I’m sorry to hear you’re also coming across this!  

The above issue was specifically related to EU databases so I’m wondering if there could be something else at play here. I know you mentioned you had reached out to support regarding this, which is likely the best course of action here. This way they can dig into any errors a bit more with you. If you haven’t seen a response come through sometimes it’s helpful to search your inbox for “@zapier.com” or double check spam. 🙂