Best answer

GMAIL TO GMAIL ZAP. Am I able to Ignore one attachment/email but not the other?

• 1 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Zapier community!

I have a Gmail to Gmail zap configured to trigger off of a NEW ATTACHMENT in a folder, and then action to SEND AN EMAIL to a BI tool.

My issue is that I receive 2 emails that I am having a hard time filtering into separate folders. Instead of fumbling around with Google email filters, I was hoping I can control with Zapier. 

I would like to set up Zapier to send just one of the emails that comes into the folder instead of both. The emails come in about 10 mins apart from each other daily too.

Is there a way to ignore one of these while still forwarding the other?

Thanks!!

icon

Best answer by Rachael S 6 December 2022, 18:37

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ababab608 

Good question.

Can you provide specific examples of the emails that come thru in pairs?

There would need to be some common but unique ID between the emails to know they are related.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Troy, I can add some edits to the emails to hide the unique information, but it would be hard to decipher them if I do. I can tell you that the only differences to the emails are the subject lines and the names on the attachments. Otherwise they are exactly the same. 

I should be able to filter the emails into separate folders and be OK. But one of the subject lines contains characters that gmail does not like.

I can prepare the emails to post here if needed. Just let me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ababab608 

Have you tried using a Filter step in the Zap?

Otherwise, please post/provide representative examples so we have more context about the pair of emails that come thru.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @Troy Tessalone I will try this and see how it impacts the email send tomorrow. I do think this is a great idea and that it will work. I will confirm in the morning. Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @ababab608 - any success in your Filter step? We’re looking forward to hearing if you were able to build your Zap successfully!

Best- Rachael 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Rachael S still was unable to get the filter to work properly, but I solved this by working the gmail filters. I do believe the Zapier filter step is capable of handling though.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @ababab608 - thanks for letting us know! I’ll mark this as solved with the following recap of what we chatted about: 

Filters should be able to normally manage this type of access request, but you were best able to move forward by using Gmail filters. 

Thanks for asking your question and definitely let us know if you run into anything else!