Skip to main content
Best answer

Combining data from multiple sheets into a master sheet

• 9 January 2022
  • 1 reply

I have multiple Google Forms that output different data (answers) and I am adding more and varied forms every day. (so I have a lot of individual sheets collecting various data) However, some of that data is universal, for example, name, email, age, date of birth etc. (about 25 fields ALWAYS have the same column name, IN THE SAME ORDER in sheets results for every form)  I want to create a zap that will populate a single “Master Sheet” with the fields that are “universal” to every sheet without having to map each of those fields every time a new form is created.

It’s quick and easy to set a zap that triggers on “New Row Created”, and that generates the data I need.  And the action “Create New Row” is simple as well.  But mapping all the fields for each new form is very time consuming.  Is there a way to automatically associate by column name instead??  It’s super frustrating because all the data I need have the same “name” but are keyed to different sheets. I can’t figure out how to automate this association.

Ideally, the Zap would:

1. Trigger on “New Row Created” in any worksheet within a sheet. (I can create a zap for each worksheet but it would be better to automate it because I’m adding sheets everyday)
  2. (this is really the key) The data returned by the trigger would be disassociated with the google sheet and become “stand alone” values, just a column name and a value.
  3. Action “Create New Row” would populate a new row in my separate Master Sheet with the values returned by the “stand alone” step.  (Avoiding having to remap the fields for every new sheet)

Alternatively:

1. A sheets or zap function that would automatically make a copy of any new row (in its entirety, not mapped) and past it into the Master Sheet.  The fields I need are the first 20 or so, in the same order, with the same column names in each sheet created.  I just need it to populate in a single step. 

Ideas??

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community @MWake!

Hmm, there isn’t currently a way to automatically map the fields from the Google Forms spreadsheet over to the “Master Sheet”. You could potentially manually copy an existing Zap that has similar fields and then adjust it to setup the additional fields. 

But I’m wondering if it might be better to utilise Google Sheet’s IMPORTRANGE funtion to automatically import all data from the other spreadsheets into the “Master Sheet”. You can find out more about how to use it here: IMPORTRANGE 

Hope that helps!