Best answer

Can I tag transactions from specific clients in Square to the same client in Keap?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Zap community! I need your help.

I use Square for all my appointments, charges, services etc…  Whenever we charge someone, we attach that person specifically to the transaction to keep records.  

We also have every one of our clients imported to Keap as well.  

When someone completes a transaction in square, is it possible to tag that transaction in Keap?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 6 June 2023, 02:48

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TheWellnessCenter 

Good question.

Which Keap Zap app are you using?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Troy Tessalone, Just basic Keap!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TheWellnessCenter 

If you are trying to Tag a Contact in Keap, then you can use this Zap action: Keap - Tag Contact

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Troy! That’s where I’m running into the issue,

We connect each client to their transaction in square.  I want that same client in square who was tagged, to also be tagged in Keap.  So every transaction will connect with someone else. I’ve tried using the Custom list, but that doesn’t seem to work.  Any work arounds?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TheWellnessCenter 

It would be helpful if you could post full screenshots with how your Zap steps are currently configured to give us more context.

As well, outline a specific examples for us to trace the desired data flow from the inputs to the outputs.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Troy,

Thank you so much for your help this far.

Square Tag is the first step in my Zap

Keap Tag is what happens once square tag is triggered

IMG-8928 is what our backend in square looks like when we are tagging clients in a transaction

IMG-8930 is the receipt that is connected to each client after their transaction.

I want to be able to tag a client the client in Keap with a specific tag once a transaction has been recorded in square for that specific client.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TheWellnessCenter 

The Keap Contact field expects the Keap Contact ID, not the Square Customer ID.

You will need to add a Keap Find Contact step before to get the Keap Contact ID.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So to make sure I understand you correctly,

I need a second step like this? Then I can tag the client with a third step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TheWellnessCenter 

You first need to find the Keap Contact by email address.

Then you can update the Keap Contact using the Keap Contact ID from the previous step.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Troy,

I have to apologize, I’m totally lost.  If you were to build this out yourself, what would it look like?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there,  @TheWellnessCenter! Hopefully I can shed some light here. 🙂

I hope you don’t mind if I back up a little. Troy mentioned this but the Keap Customer ID won’t be the same as the Square Customer ID.

So if we search Keap for a customer with a Square ID it will likely return an error and/or not be successful. We’ll need to search Keap for a value it knows, for example an email address (if that’s collected at time of payment 🤞🏽).

So your zap might look like:

1. Square - New Payment Trigger
  2. Keap - Find Contact Action
  1. Keap - Tag Contact Action
    This is test info in this screenshot but in this step you’ll need to map the Contact ID located from your “Find Contact” step:

Do you think this could work? Let us know - we’re happy to continue digging into this with you. 🤗

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TheWellnessCenter 

Use the ‘Custom’ option, then map the Customer ID (maybe just ID) from step 2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey, 

Thank you for responding.  I’m open to trying anything.  I know we already have the customers email at the time of transaction.  Do you think that by connecting the client to the transaction (which I believe would connect the email?) that it will start that automation process?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TheWellnessCenter

Please send screenshots with the output data points from Step 2.

Please send updated screenshots with how your Zap Step 3 is now configured.

Did you do this?

Use the ‘Custom’ option, then map the Customer ID (maybe just ID) from step 2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here are my steps 2 and 3

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TheWellnessCenter 

Those steps look correct.

Have you tested?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m still waiting for my boss to upgrade my plan so I can have 3 step.  Will test today.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Tested, It came up with an error. Saying it couldn’t find the client.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @TheWellnessCenter! Thanks for giving the test a shot and keeping us posted!

Did this error occur while you were testing in the zap setup? If so, I’m thinking the error may have something to do with the sample data being used in the zap. 🤔 

Are you able to try loading in a new sample from Square? You can do that in your trigger step by selecting the “Test” section, clicking the Order drop down, and “Load More”. More on changing test data here:

Select a new sample, one where you know the customer already exists in Keap, and then retest your action again. Does it still come up with that error?

Let us know!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Everyone.  I changed the order set up to be a little different. But I’m still running into an error. here are my steps and proof. 

So I switched from payment to order.  When I did that, I found the contacts email.  From there I tried searching for the email, and clients first name.  But it couldn’t find those results in keap.  I searched in keap and found the client and confirmed their information is completely accurate.

Would love your advice going forward.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @TheWellnessCenter! Thanks for sharing those screenshots - they’re super helpful.

Currently it looks like we have an email value in the search “Field”.

Are you able to click that dropdown and select the field you’d like to search by? It sounds like you may want to locate a contact in Keap using their email address so it might look something like this:

Let us know how that works for you! 🤗

Userlevel 1
Badge

AND WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!

YAY!!!!

Christina and Troy! Thank you so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

YAY! That’s fantastic news! 🎉🎉🎉

Thanks so much following up here, @TheWellnessCenter! Really pleased Christina and Troy were able to help get this sorted out. 😁