Question

Append a new Google Sheets to an existing one

• 15 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello,

I would like to append one Google sheet when it is created in a shared folder in Google Drive to another pre-existing Google sheet. In order to keep historical data.

The source is Linkedin.

Kind regards,

Mary

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Mary Sassaqui, welcome to the community!

This is something that could be possible with Zapier, but it depends on a couple of factors:

Do you want to add the new Google sheet to the bottom of the same worksheet or as a new worksheet in the same Google Sheet. In case you’re not familiar with the term worksheet, it refers to the different pages, or tabs, that you have in a Google Sheet. 

If you want the data from the new sheet to be created in a new worksheet, you can use the Google Sheets Copy Worksheet action to copy the whole thing to a new worksheet in the existing Google Sheet.  

If you don’t want to add a new worksheet, the other important thing to know is the number of rows there could be in the Google Sheet that you want to transfer. If there are 500 rows or fewer, we can use the Get Many Spreadsheet Rows (Advanced, With Line Item Support) to get all of the rows from the sheet. You’d then use the Create Spreadsheet Row(s) action to append those rows onto the existing sheet. 

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions or would like some more information about the Google Sheets actions I outlined :) 

Badge

Hello, 

Thank you @Danvers for the reply.

I don’t want to add a new worksheet, I would like to get some rows of the sheet, the ones that are not repeated, and add to the existing worksheet. There may be a few rows that are overlapping in both files.

Thank you again,

Mary

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Mary Sassaqui Jumping in as I want to make sure you’re squared away! 

Are you open to giving this recommendation a try? 

If you don’t want to add a new worksheet, the other important thing to know is the number of rows there could be in the Google Sheet that you want to transfer. If there are 500 rows or fewer, we can use the Get Many Spreadsheet Rows (Advanced, With Line Item Support) to get all of the rows from the sheet. You’d then use the Create Spreadsheet Row(s) action to append those rows onto the existing sheet. 

Have you tested this out? What were the results of it? I want to ensure I am understanding to better help. Is this where you are encountering overlapping rows? 

Badge

@chanelle Hello,

Thank you for the reply, I was able to run the zap. but it was appending random and repetitive rows at the end of the main spreadsheet. 

The selected cells are the appended ones, but they were displayed above as well, they were in the middle of the main file, so I don’t understand the logic of how they were picked. 

Kind regards,

Mary

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Got it, hmm @Mary Sassaqui I’d like to request another screenshot of this portion of your Zap setup to take a look at the fields and parameters set up. Can you please add some to the post or in the comments so we can take a look? Of course, omitting any personal/identifying information. 

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Mary Sassaqui,

If you’re looking to have these rows match some criteria, you could try using this action instead:

What is your expectation for which rows you’d like to return from the sheet you’re searching?