Question

Ability to Reference Conditional/Dynamic Values when Sending Emails from a Google Sheet

• 14 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi there! First time user of Zapier and we’re trying to figure out if Zapier will work for us

I have a Google sheet that has rows of person-specific data (i.e. first name, last name, etc). My staff are filling out specific time-sheet information on this spreadsheet. There is a column titled “Payroll Processing” and the values can only be “GOOD” or “BAD”. The “GOOD or BAD” result and column is calculated based on conditional IFs statements that are derived from values in other columns. We want Zapier to send out email notifications to any rows where the Payroll Processing column is “BAD”. We want these emails to be sent dynamically as staff are filling out the rows of data. 

In the sample below; emails will go to the first 4 rows, but not the 5th row

Staff Email Facility Timesheet contact Email Payroll Processing
mohamed1@tlcnursing.com test1@gmail.com BAD
mohamed2@tlcnursing.com test2@gmail.com BAD
mohamed3@tlcnursing.com test3@gmail.com BAD
mohamed4@tlcnursing.com test4@gmail.com BAD
mohamed5@tlcnursing.com test5@gmail.com GOOD

Is this possible within Zapier? The Zaps that I see in the tutorial seem to be quite simple and only can send emails based on new rows. 

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TLC Medical 

For GSheets, here are the available triggers/actions/searches via a Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/integrations#triggers-and-actions

“New or Updated Spreadsheet Row” trigger behavior

If you’re using the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger and choose Any column to monitor, any change to a row will trigger your Zap. If you select a specific column, then the Zap will only trigger when there are changes on that column.

Note

Zaps using New or Updated Spreadsheet Row will also trigger for any new rows in the spreadsheet, even if the specified column is blank. To avoid triggering in those cases, add a Filter step to your Zap.

TIP: Depending on your project requirements you may want to explore using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @TLC Medical, hope you’re well, I just wanted to check in here!

Were you able to get things working with the information provided by Troy, or is there anything we can do to help further?