Question

Zapier mistreats the list of objects data

Userlevel 1

Hi. I have a trigger in Zapier using Poll in Webhooks. I’m working with simple JSON:

{

"elements": [

{

"type": "ContactViewData",

"contactId": "9565110",

"C_EmailAddress": "test2@gmail.com"

},

{

"type": "ContactViewData",

"contactId": "9565111",

"C_EmailAddress": "test1@gmail.com"

}

],

"page": 1,

"pageSize": 400,

"total": 2

}

But it looks like Zapier treats list of elements as one element (or maybe a text), thus I can’t iterate through them. I am getting a data like this:

It’s strange because I get exactly what I want (list of objects) using Catch Hook in Webhooks sending the same data.

Is there any way to transform data from screen 1 so it look like on a screen 2?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AArtem 

Good question.

Might be best to open a ticket with Zapier Support related to this: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@AArtem Just curious: what is the benefit of using the poll option if the catch-hook option gets you what you want? I’d love to understand your workflow a bit better!

Userlevel 1

@AArtem Just curious: what is the benefit of using the poll option if the catch-hook option gets you what you want? I’d love to understand your workflow a bit better!

Hello @jesse

I want to automate a process, where I am getting contacts from one application and use this data in another. As I understood using webhooks requires me to manually send contacts data to Zapier, but I want Zapier to do it itself.
I hope it makes sense. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AArtem 

What app are you using to poll data from?

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 
It is called Eloqua and it is not on a list of applications Zapier works with. So I added it using developer.zapier.com (it works fine though).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

As I understood using webhooks requires me to manually send contacts data to Zapier

That depends on the app that you’re connecting to/the event you want to trigger from, some apps will send information to your catch hook when a particular event happens. I’m not sure about Eloqua, I took a quick look at the API but I’m not quite up to a developer level of understanding. 

Can I ask something about your screenshots? It looks like they are from a Webhooks by Zapier step inside a Zap, is that right? I’m a little confused - if you’ve developed an integration using the developer platform, why are you using a webhooks by Zapier trigger? I’m sorry if I’m missing something here, I just want to make sure that we’re all on the same page so we can hopefully get you pointed in the right direction! Thanks 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @AArtem! Were you able to get to the bottom of this one? If not, could you perhaps share how the polling and catch webhook triggers are set up, so we can see if there’s anything there that would be causing the difference? 

Thanks!