Best answer

Webhooks - Return URL from Google Sheets

• 15 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone! I’m pretty new to Zapier but it seems that the possibilities are endless!

I’m trying to achieve something using a webhook, but I keep running into errors. I wondered if someone might be able to explain how I can perform the following task.

1. User clicks on a button on my website
  2. The button launches a random website from a list of ~300 sites I have in Google sheets

Here’s what I have done so far;

1. Created a webhook and attached it to my website button
  2. Zapier Format Number = Spreadsheet-Style Formula
  3. Formula = Randbetween(1,300)

Here are the steps I am having issues with;

1. Connect and look up Google Sheet with number derived from step 3
  2. Push URL from Google Sheet

It seems I am unable to get the webhook to pull a URL from Google sheets based on the number from step 3.

Would someone be able to talk me through what I need to do to achieve this?

Thank you in advance.:grin:

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 15 March 2021, 15:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @sirtraximus 

Zaps are best suited for back end automation between apps, rather than front end scripting.

You’ll likely need to look into leveraging JavaScript to interact with your GSheet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@sirtraximus 

To answer your question though, you’d need to use the GSheets Update Row action step and map the returned formula number value to dynamically populate the Row using the ‘Custom’ option.

Don’t pass in any data to the column.

This will return the data from the specified row.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @sirtraximus, hope you’re well, I just wanted to check in here!

Was the information provided by Troy able to help you resolve the issue or get you pointed in the right direct?

Let us know if we can help out!