Question

Using OpenAI outputs with Davinci engine as a string in a later step

• 9 March 2023
  • 6 replies

I am having an issue using the openAI zap feature getting an output from the DaVinci engine that when I then take that output and try and using in a later step of a custom webhook it loses its formatting.
I have tried putting in the prompt that the format needs to be a string but that is not very consistent and have also tried dumping into a google sheet with “” on each side but the formatting doesn’t work nicely everytime.
In the openAI playground there is a Inject Start text and Inject restart text which solves the problem but can’t find anything like that in the zap.

Does anybody have a solution or further ideas that we could try.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AndrewHH 

Good question.

Perhaps providing screenshots of examples from the Zap will help us have enough context.

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

I have attached a few images that might help, we have tried putting “” around the choices output in the custom webhook field as well but that didn’t work, you can see the two fields that exist on the openAI playground field as well that solve the problem but don’t exist on zapier

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AndrewHH 

You def need to put double quotes around this mapped variable.

We’d also need to see the API docs for the API endpoint you are trying to use.

We tried putting double quotes around it, the issue was that when it went from the openAPI output to the next step the formatting changed so just putting the quotes wasn’t enough as it didn’t recognise it as an enclosed string and instead read different functions within the output. We tried forcing the output to be a string via the prompt but that was unreliable as about 20% of the time it gave a non-string output. 

Just hoping somebody has an idea to force the output to be a string or a way inject double quotes before any next step is completed

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AndrewHH

We’d also need to see the API docs for the API endpoint you are trying to use.

If the API endpoint supports markdown or HTML, then you can have the AI step output the response as such.

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

I have attached a few images that might help, we have tried putting “” around the choices output in the custom webhook field as well but that didn’t work, you can see the two fields that exist on the openAI playground field as well that solve the problem but don’t exist on zapier Rain Guard Roofs

Same situation, I've tried all sorts of tricks, like explicitly specifying the output as a string in the prompt. While it works some of the time, it's hardly consistent. I also attempted a workaround by enclosing the output in quotation marks within a Google Sheet, but alas, the formatting gremlins persist.

The interesting part is, when I'm in the OpenAI playground, I noticed a lifesaver – the "Inject Start text" and "Inject restart text" options – they work like a charm. Yet, the catch is, I can't seem to find anything similar within the zap I'm using.