Question

Use access token from registered apps

• 5 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Hey guys,

Is it somehow possible to use the credentials from an authenticated app in my Zapier account in a custom webhook?

My use case would be the following : I have my linkedin account set up (with oauth2)  using the dedicated Zapier app but the set of calls is very limited. Thus, I’d like to add my own calls with the webhook action but need access to the Linkedin credentials.

Any idea ?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Arthur Cube 

I do not believe it would be possible for you to access the credentials of an already authenticated app. 

My suggestion would be to check out the developer portal to rebuild the Oauth steps in a private integration with LinkedIn 
https://platform.zapier.com/docs/zapier-intro - developer docs
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/linkedin/ - linked in API

I haven’t explored the LinkedIn API but if they have a practice portal, it might be possible to get the Bearer token from that, however, you would need to ensure the token doesn’t expire. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Arthur Cube 

I do not believe it would be possible for you to access the credentials of an already authenticated app. 

This would be a great feature to add as I am looking to expand what GoToWebinar has currently for its action list.

@GetUWired yes that’s what I was afraid of.

I wanted to avoid all the steps of registering a new application on Linkedin side, applying to the needed scopes, etc … and obviously to replicate the Oauth authentification steps on Zapier as well, especially when I already connected my Linkedin account on Zapier.

But it looks like I’ll need to to do it anyway ...
:dizzy_face:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

With some apps it’s no problem, as they have playground built into their docs and some tokens can be set not to expire. But with most Oauth apps, tokens will expire in an hour and need to be refreshed. Zapier’s developer portal is pretty easy to get used to once you’ve played around in it though! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Arthur Cube!

Just checking in. Where did you end up with the LinkedIn Zap?