Question

Static webhook authentication approach

• 22 September 2022
  • 1 reply

I’m looking into adding webhook support into an application, and at first glance it looks like webhooks by Zapier will work great. However, the lack of authentication (as far as I can see) within Zapier seems to make this far too dangerous. Am I missing something, or is the “security” really a matter of security by obscurity, and dependent on keeping the webhook URL safe? I don’t see what there is to prevent anyone posting against this URL if they find it.

One idea I did have was to a “run javascript in code” step with the hook, and use this to check a HMAC header, using a secret key i’ve stored in Storage by Zapier. 

Should I just be using a different approach altogether, the Zapier platform mentions authentication but this seems to be about authentication back to my app, rather than authenticating requests to Zapier. 

thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

I could definitely achieve what I want with something like this, but this doesn’t feel like what i’d expect to be necessary here?

Would love to be told there’s a better way here. 

Just to confirm what I want:

• Receive webhook
  • Verify webhook (for example using HMAC header)
  • Continue if verified...