Best answer

Shopify and Facebook Conversions events deduplication

• 13 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello. Need Help with Shopify +Facebook Conversion APP, currently, I set up this Zap, server events received by my Pixel, but events are not deduplicated. 

I can't set event ID for Shopify Purchase event, it's impossible to hack trackie.

Can you help me with that?

icon

Best answer by SamB 17 August 2021, 16:57

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Myroslav!

I’m not sure if this helps but we do have a post with tips on creating manual deduplication: 

It sounds like the part you’re struggling with is finding a field to deduplicate from. Are you using the Zapier Shopify integration or a webhook to send the information? If it’s a webhook, I had a quick scan of the Shopify API for Orders and I couldn’t see a field that you could use to store the event ID : https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/rest/reference/orders/order

Hopefully, someone else with more experience of the Shopify API will have a suggestion!

Userlevel 1

Hey @Myroslav :)

Are you sending your purchase events via the Shopify->Facebook standard integration? If so, there should be a possibility to just send server-side events from there, and based on that, you could turn off the pixel purchase event as they’ll most likely be redundant.

However, if you’ve set up your Facebook Pixel through Tag Manager, there’s a pretty easy fix to just pass the ‘{{checkout.order_id}}’ through to Tag Manager and Facebook via your checkout settings.

I’ve written a guide on how to set it all up in Integromat, but you should be able to copy the approach and steps to Zapier quite easy: https://lssrvn.com/facebook-conversions-api-shopify-guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just wanted to follow up here to confirm that Facebook uses the Event ID and name for deduplication. Their documentation states “After you set up the event name and event ID parameters, we deduplicate all but the first event we receive if the events have the same event ID, have the same event name, are received by the same pixel ID and are received within 48 hours of the first event.” - About deduplication for Facebook pixel and Conversions API events 

The event ID will need to be a unique ID. So in cases where your Zap is triggering more than once for the same order, you’ll want to ensure that the Event ID field in the Facebook Conversions step is set to be a unique value, like the Order ID from the Shopify trigger step. This will help Facebook to identify whether the conversion is a duplicate event.

And to prevent the Zap from sending duplicates through to Facebook in the first place, you’ll want to follow the suggestions on the thread Danvers linked to above in order to set up some deduplication for the Zap. We also have another article on stopping duplicate triggers that may be helpful: