Question

Reading a Gmail attachment and copying the file content to a Google Doc

• 26 October 2023
  • 8 replies

I am trying to email resumes to a mailbox (Gmail) and create a ZAP to read the attachment (resume as-is) and append the entire resume content to a Google Doc. I am trying this as a pilot for now, to later pass the resume content in string format to an API.

I am using WebHooks (GET) which creates a URL string (which downloads the file when copied in browser. When i try to write the attachment content, it keeps writing the URL and not the actual contents of the file (in this case, resume).

Please help. Thanks, in advance

AP

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Prasanna 

Good question.

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Sharing the screen shots.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Prasanna 

What type of file is being processed? (e.g. PDF, etc.)

We would need to see screenshots with how Step 2 is configured.

In this case, it is PDF. 

It could be either PDF or word document.

Attaching the Step 2 screen shot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Prasanna 

PDF probably won’t work with this approach, and you may need to use a different app to parse a PDF.

For Word Doc, you’d likely need to upload that file to GDrive first and have GDrive convert the Word Doc to a GDoc before getting the contents.

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Ah Okay.

Is there any app available that can parse any document format and return the content as a string/ text?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Prasanna 

Check out the apps in the Documents category: https://zapier.com/apps/categories/documents

e.g. PDF.co

Thanks, @Troy Tessalone